Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I edit a profile that already existist in a revit file?

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
sburke1
37598 Views, 32 Replies

How do I edit a profile that already existist in a revit file?

I've created a profile family called custom1

I loaded it into my project. I created a wall sweep and asigned custom1 to that sweep. It works fine and looks fine on my drawing.

Now I want to change the shape of my profile (Custom1).

Is there no way to edit this profile once it's in the drawing?
I can't find a way.
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: sburke1

You can edit a profile if it contains editable parameters. You can do this by finding your profile in the Families section of the Project Browser and then accessing it's properties. If your profile doesn't contain parameters then you'd have to edit the profile externally and then reload it into your project file. "sburke1" wrote in message news:12042755.1096684149074.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I've created a profile family called custom1 > > I loaded it into my project. I created a wall sweep and asigned custom1 > to that sweep. It works fine and looks fine on my drawing. > > Now I want to change the shape of my profile (Custom1). > > Is there no way to edit this profile once it's in the drawing? > I can't find a way.
Message 3 of 33
sburke1

Thanks for the answer I wish I new how to do what you suggested but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I have to say that is a very very disapointing answer. I am an expert with ADT but after using revit I actually perfer Revit. But in adt all the objects are 100% parametric and editable in place. If I was doing this in ADT I could select the sweep itself and change the profile in any way I wish. I can change it's size or add and remove Geometry. Revit will need to have this type of ability if it is to compete and finally overtake ADT.
Message 4 of 33
Anonymous

If you select the sweep then Edit/New leads to modifiable wall type properties. You can change your custom1 profile to any other loaded profile. If you don't want to change to another profile then you can edit your old profile family and reload it or you may even try to make a new family with the same name (custom1) and load it. Once you a family with same name is loaded it will be substituted for the old one. HTH "sburke1" wrote in message news:25379081.1096763503997.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks for the answer I wish I new how to do what you suggested but I'm sure I can figure it out. > > I have to say that is a very very disapointing answer. I am an expert with ADT but after using revit I actually perfer Revit. But in adt all the objects are 100% parametric and editable in place. If I was doing this in ADT I could select the sweep itself and change the profile in any way I wish. I can change it's size or add and remove Geometry. Revit will need to have this type of ability if it is to compete and finally overtake ADT.
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous

Software development is not a racing. I tried to learn ADT after 15 years of AutoCAD and I thought from the beginning that it was a completely different program... I think Revit is much easier and faster. Of course Revit needs many improvements but I think that opening a second file to edit the profile is not something new for AutoCAD users. For example if you use a block from a file (not Xref) you have to open the file, change what you want and then re-load it into the main dwg file. I am sure that you will love how revit produces everything so fast, also read a little about design options to see how you can keep every idea you have into the same file. I can understand that the absence of layers seems a little strange at the beginning you will get used to in a short time. I think that if the guys in Revit's development team read AUGI's Revit wishlist forum then Revit 7 will be great! > I have to say that is a very very disapointing answer. I am an expert with ADT but after using revit I actually perfer > Revit. But in adt all the objects are 100% parametric and editable in place. If I was doing this in ADT I could >select the sweep itself and change the profile in any way I wish. I can change it's size or add and remove >Geometry. Revit will need to have this type of ability if it is to compete and finally overtake ADT.
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous

Although, I would have to agree that "In Place Editing" of loaded family components would be very nice! Double-click on a loaded family, and enter "family edit mode." Make the changes needed, then hit a special 'save changes to family' button, and the external family file would be sved and reloaded into your project. AutoCAD 2005 has in place editing, and I have to say, it's a major timesaver. "JTB" wrote in message news:416008ed_3@newsprd01... > Software development is not a racing. I tried to learn ADT after 15 years of > AutoCAD and I thought from the beginning that it was a completely different > program... I think Revit is much easier and faster. Of course Revit needs > many improvements but I think that opening a second file to edit the profile > is not something new for AutoCAD users. For example if you use a block from > a file (not Xref) you have to open the file, change what you want and then > re-load it into the main dwg file. I am sure that you will love how revit > produces everything so fast, also read a little about design options to see > how you can keep every idea you have into the same file. I can understand > that the absence of layers seems a little strange at the beginning you will > get used to in a short time. > > I think that if the guys in Revit's development team read AUGI's Revit > wishlist forum then Revit 7 will be great! > > > I have to say that is a very very disapointing answer. I am an expert > with ADT but after using revit I actually perfer > Revit. But in adt all > the objects are 100% parametric and editable in place. If I was doing this > in ADT I could >select the sweep itself and change the profile in any way > I wish. I can change it's size or add and remove >Geometry. Revit will > need to have this type of ability if it is to compete and finally overtake > ADT. > >
Message 7 of 33
sburke1

Hi JTB,

Actually it is very old to autodesk users. I haven't opened a block and reloaded it for over 4 years because autocad will let you edit both blocks and Xrefs in place. Revit will win over ADT but I find it sad that many of the basic editing functions are at autocad release 9 level. The trim function is like going back to dos as opposed to windows. You would think that since Revit is owned by autodesk they would try to learn from some of the good features of Autocad and incorporate them into Revit. Who knows when revit 7 comes out these issues may be moot. Of course my biggest complaint about revit is the complete and total lack of a wall styles library and they way you have to copy and paste them from a file instead of loading them ADT's Style (family) managment system blows revits out of the water, other wise revit is better than ADT in many other ways to be fair.
Message 8 of 33
Anonymous

The Revit Trim tool functions as trim and extend, with three different options. I have no problems with it. Make your own walls styles library in your template, and then they are all available. Walls are so simple to create. Find one that is close to what you want and then Duplicate and edit it. "sburke1" wrote in message news:10149851.1096854366045.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi JTB, > > Actually it is very old to autodesk users. I haven't opened a block and reloaded it for over 4 years because autocad will let you edit both blocks and Xrefs in place. Revit will win over ADT but I find it sad that many of the basic editing functions are at autocad release 9 level. The trim function is like going back to dos as opposed to windows. You would think that since Revit is owned by autodesk they would try to learn from some of the good features of Autocad and incorporate them into Revit. Who knows when revit 7 comes out these issues may be moot. Of course my biggest complaint about revit is the complete and total lack of a wall styles library and they way you have to copy and paste them from a file instead of loading them ADT's Style (family) managment system blows revits out of the water, other wise revit is better than ADT in many other ways to be fair.
Message 9 of 33
SepMova

Go to Project Browser/Families/Profiles, then right click on the main stream of the profile you want to change, hit Edit

Message 10 of 33
loboarch
in reply to: SepMova

@SepMova wrote:

Go to Project Browser/Families/Profiles, then right click on the main stream of the profile you want to change, hit Edit

13 years after the original post, I suspect the person posting has figured it out or moved on.  Smiley Wink

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 11 of 33
SepMova
in reply to: loboarch

was a new question for me, just found the solution and shoot it here.
Message 12 of 33
circa_mike177

His answer just helped me solve my problem where the question was never properly resolved. Perhaps you should reconsider your replies to helpful responses.

Thank you SepMova, great answer.

Message 13 of 33
ToanDN
in reply to: circa_mike177

The answer is right in the 1st reply no less.

Capture.PNG

Message 14 of 33
koert.vynckier
in reply to: ToanDN

The first answer only shows you how to modify a profile parameter, the new answer shows you how to actually Edit the profile. No need to go look for an external file, maybe it used to be the case, but not in Revit 2017 anyway.

Necro-thread, but helpful nonetheless.

Message 15 of 33
jmhanbyV4TDM

Version 2021.1.2, there is no edit when I right click on the profile. So how do you find where the file is to open it to edit it?  If it is in a model we downloaded from some where on the internet are we screwed?  I would think the profile file is somewhere in the model.

Message 16 of 33
jmhanbyV4TDM
in reply to: jmhanbyV4TDM

Never mind, I was clicking on the wrong part of the tree!
Message 17 of 33
nmuammarJJTN5

no edit option!

Message 18 of 33
HU5TLE
in reply to: nmuammarJJTN5

There is no edit. Why is editing a simple profile such a difficult task?!!?

Message 19 of 33
HU5TLE
in reply to: nmuammarJJTN5

Cannot edit profile!!! Why is this not easier?!!

Message 20 of 33
ToanDN
in reply to: HU5TLE

@HU5TLE wrote:

Cannot edit profile!!! Why is this not easier?!!

You can see the Profile Type assigned to the Slab Edge Type via the Slab Edge Type properties.  Now look in the Browser > Families > Profiles > select the profile family with that type name and edit its parameters or open it to edit.

ToanDN_0-1643756370028.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report