Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do beams for this odd shaped roof?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jessieh
621 Views, 6 Replies

How do I do beams for this odd shaped roof?

I have this curved roof that revit drew itself when I chose draw by footprint and I want to know how to draw the beams in for the shape of it.

Also, when i do draw beams in they won't show up in my section view!

Can somebody please help me?

Attached shows the shape of the roof..

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jessieh
in reply to: jessieh

Forgot to add this.site plan.png

Message 3 of 7

In the level you want to place the beam (the level in which the roof is) - let,say Level 2,

1. Structure >Beam >Properties >Edit Type > choose the beam type if it is already loaded or , if not - Type Properties >Load >Libraries - choose Imperial or Metric as suits you...> Structural Framing >choose material and type of the beam >Open >Specify Type (choose a dimension type) >OK - the new type beam is now loaded into the project
  2. to resume - Select the beam >Modify /Place Beam > Draw > click on Pick Lines and click on the curved border of the roof .... The beam appears . 
  3. you if you want to place the beam at a certain distance from the roof border , select the beam , apply Modfy /Structural Framing >Modify >Offset...choose a distance of the offset ...
  4. Use Detail Level :Medium or Fine in order to see the beam...

Image 4.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 4 of 7
jessieh

Thanks for that!

I have just drawn the beams in but they won't show in my sectional view. Do you know why this might be?

Message 5 of 7

check:

1. Properties >Visibility / Graphics Overrides > Edit >Model Categories > Structural Framing to be checked
  2. Detail Level to be Medium or Fine

I hope these will solve your problem...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 6 of 7
jessieh

Thanks.. That detail level fixed it up..

Message 7 of 7
awes

Please, consult your structural engineer before going any further. There might be several structural layout alternatives to choose from.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report