Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change background image for rendering ?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gabriel.lacroix
4573 Views, 7 Replies

How can I change background image for rendering ?

Hi,

I learned from Autodesk that it was impossible to insert a backround image for rendering in Revit 2009 and 2010. I know that the sun and sky images are located in the folder named C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Data\Rendering\assetlibrary_base.fbm\Environments\SunAndSky\Presets . There are *.jpg image associated to a *.exr file. Does anyone know to change this *.exr file ?

I don't want to use Photoshop or 3ds Max to insert an image after rendering in Revit.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards.

GL
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TKHill
in reply to: gabriel.lacroix

Someone from the AUGI website suggested making a mass and applying the required image as a material. This entails lots of mucking about, but it does work. Your image needs to sized to the same length as the mass or it will tile, and the mass needs to have the same proportions as the photo (usually 6:4.5 for a digital photo, or 6:4 for a scanned photo) in elevation or it will tile. Also, as the mass is usually drawn in plan view it will rotate the image to the direction of the extrusion, so you will need to rotate the image 270deg when setting the material properties if you draw it in plan.

I, too, would be interested in knowing how to add image files to the presets available. I tried dropping extra images into the presets folder, but as GL notes, there is a bit more to it...

Autodesk needs to include the option for a different background with the presets - after all part of the reason for all this modelling is presentation and while we can model the immediate background, it is very stupid to think we will also model the distant background. Clients often want to see their product in the correct context and at present we can't do that for them without a lot of mucking about! We could do it in ArchiCAD and I remember doing it 10 years ago at university with 3Dstudio viz - so why not modern Revit???
Message 3 of 8
vector2

i put all kinds of background images behind
me renderings..

just save your rendered image as a .tiff export
and then go to a blank floor plan view and
import your background image and then
import your .tiff rendering and put it on top..
Message 4 of 8
TKHill

Thanks Vector2 - that was very helpful and worked perfectly!
Message 5 of 8
Glenn-J

hi vector, please can you help with the backgrounds, how can i put an image to see through the window; from the interior to the exterior; for example, i am rendering an interior room where i have a storefront windows and i would like to see the exterior. i attached this image that i graved from the revitcity forum as an example.
thanks in advance
my e-mails is gjara@liebke.org
Message 6 of 8
vector2

Glenn-

just open the window in the family editor
and delete the glass.. but it might get
a little drafty in the room..

see the image..
Message 7 of 8
vector2

opps- sorry glenn- you are talking about curtain walls..

see the image..
Message 8 of 8

If I rendered my house image with a blank back round and then imported it onto a back round like Vector 2 mentioned earlier,

wouldn't the rendered image I export have  white backround? So there would be a white box around my house sitting on top of a nice landscape backround? I'm confused about that. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report