Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about some good detail tutorials - floor tiling

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
RJK42
3640 Views, 6 Replies

How about some good detail tutorials - floor tiling

I'm trying to create a custom floor tile but having issues doing it.  1st I create a generic 12' create floor, then use that floor to create a subfoor to try to create a tiled floor that is offset 1/4" from the initial floor.  I select the floor, click edit material, select ceramic tile,.. get to the graphics property, select surface pattern and select 12" tile, click done, then OK but ... nothing happens.  

Can anyone direct me to a good tutorial on out to create floor tiles.

I would also like to customize a pattern.  I would like to create a patter that uses a 12"X12" tile with (2) 5 7/8"X5 7/8" tiles.

I tried to use the *.PAT technique but finding it difficult to do what I want so I found the hatch22 but still find that rather difficult.

If someone could direct me to a good tutorial, it would be greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ccollins
in reply to: RJK42

Can you post an example or image of what you are trying to do?

The Hatch 22 idea is a good one--you can probably make your custom fill pattern and apply it to a new Material, then use that on a separate (new) floor--i.e. not a "layer" of a compounf floor.

You could also consider using Parts, then Divide Parts, and apply your tile pattern to the Divided areas.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 7
RJK42
in reply to: ccollins

Attached is the tile pattern on the right.  I want to implement a pattern using the one created to the floor on the left.  Also, can you explain a little more regarding "parts".  I'm still new to Revit.  I'm transitioning from AutoCAD to Revit, and its a steep learning curve at times.

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 7
ccollins

Take a look here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/0325-Build_th325/1144-Construc11...

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 7
RJK42
in reply to: ccollins

I ended up drawing my layout of the tile pattern in AutoCAD.  Then I created 1/4" floor in Revit.  I linked that CAD file into my Revit project, selected the floor, "create parts button, "divide parts" then edit using the drawing tools.  I also used a picture of the tile that was taken and used that as my material.  It came out nice.  I was able to select in between the tiles, which highlighted the other part that was all connected to represent the grout.  Changed that to concrete and now I have my floor.  It was pretty easy and time consuming but the result was worth it!!

Thanks again!!!

Message 6 of 7
ccollins

Glad you got it working.

The method you used was appropriate for a small area--but not for a large/major project.

In a large job, Parts/Divide would be used to create multi-material patterns within a single floor element,

in lieu of modeling lots of individual floors.

Another nice thing you can do is use a Material Takeoff Schedule, and have it report Areas of the different Materials

in your Floor--using a Schedule for Parts-Material:Area.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 7
mertens3d

RJK42,

Which were you finding difficult, using hatch22 or other?

If you were finding hatch22 difficult, what was making it difficult?

Thanks for the info

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report