Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hollow Metal Doors and Frames

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
PhilvK
3965 Views, 10 Replies

Hollow Metal Doors and Frames

Does Revit 2015 have Hollow Metal Door and Frame Families? I don't see any - does everyone create their own?

Thanks, Phil

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
David_W_Koch
in reply to: PhilvK

The Single Flush Door Family could be used as a hollow metal door and frame.  It is set up as material agnostic, so my guess would be that most people start with this and modify a copy of it to add material information, and, perhaps, tweak the graphics to match office standards.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 11
PhilvK
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I would really like to be able to create a swept extrusion (if that is the correct terminology) that is the hollow metal frame. I’ve looked at a number of YouTube tutorials and as best as I can figure out, I need to create a profile family, then load that into another family where I sweep it along a path. Is that correct? I’m stuck on how to create a path that mimics the door opening that the frame would be swept around. Is there a video tutorial out there somewhere showing this? I’ve found some examples in this forum (community) that shows the finished product, but not how to get to the finished product.

Thanks,

Phil

Message 4 of 11
jlg_design

Phil,

Components like hollow metal doors not in the standard libraries are often available in the Autodesk Seek libraries. If you go to Insert, and put Hollow Metal Doors in the Autodesk Seek, you will get many good options with extruded frames and materials. 

Jeff

Message 5 of 11
PhilvK
in reply to: jlg_design

Thanks Jeff - I will check the Seek area out, but do you happen to know if there are any tutorials or videos on how to create those types of profiles for families? I would  really like to understand that process.

Phil

Message 6 of 11
jlg_design

When you create a new door family from a template or copy an existing, all doors already have trim. If you want to create new trim or a metal extrusion, you have to do a sweep. There are many tutorials available for sweeps, but most are for walls. The following tutorial is for a sweep on an arched opening. https://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-18919.htm

You will need to sketch your own profile for the hollow metal door instead of using trim from the library.

Jeff

Message 7 of 11
PhilvK

Jeff - Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Phil

Message 8 of 11
PhilvK

Jeff (or others): With respect to your statement that "You will need to sketch your own profile for the hollow metal door instead of using trim from the library", would you do the sweep of the door frame before or after you set the reference planes and control dimensions that would allow the frame size to flex?

Thanks,

Phil

Message 9 of 11
David_W_Koch

I am not certain that the order matters a whole lot, but I would recommend placing the reference planes, parameters and parameterized dimensions first, so that you can test that they flex correctly, before you start adding geometry to them.  I would imagine that you would want to lock your sweep path to the reference planes; having those done first (and tested) makes it easier to draw the sketch for the path and align/lock it.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 11
PhilvK
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you - I'll try it!
Message 11 of 11
capu57XX5R9

I know this is several years old and it may just be advances in Revit but I was able to make an adjustable Hollow Metal door frame.

This will involve the use of a shared parameter file, if you have not set one of these up, I strongly suggest you and or your company set one up ASAP.

I will make this brief but essentially you draw up your profile, and associate the necessary dimension of the profile to a Shared Parameter in my instance I used "Jamb Depth" and "Throat" (The spec I was using called it that) for the overall width and the width of the opening in the frame that receives the wall.  I then set Jamb Depth to Equal Throat + 1" (1/2 inch of frame beyond the wall on each side.  Can be set to anything you want).  I then made sure the associated reference planes were EQ distance from the Front/Back center.  I found this to be import as when you are placing the profile you can lock this to the wall center.  I also cent the Left/Right center of the profile to be where the wall will butt up against the frame.

Now load this in to your door family.  Add a dimension to the wall and pick/add a property to your shared parameter file for the wall thickness I used Wall_thick.  Find the profile in question in your browser settings. Right click and select Type Properties.  Find the THROAT property (or whatever you called it) and click on the little grey box on the far right which is Associate Family Properties.   Choose Wall_thick from the parameter list.   This will tell the profile to adjust the throat dimension to match the wall thickness. 

Make your sweep and select the profile you desire.  Align and lock the wall center to the profile center if you made it correctly.  Also align and lock the wall face to the other center of the profile.  Finish your profile. 

Now you can load this into a project, or if you want to test it you can adjust the wall thickness right in the door family to test it out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report