Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide Nested Family In 3D View

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
chadcross
3193 Views, 3 Replies

Hide Nested Family In 3D View

I have a custom door family to which I've added door handles for plan/elevation views. I have the door handle family nested within the door family, and I am able to easily hide the handles for the elevation views in the plan views, and vice versa by using the family element visibility settings.

The problem I'm running into is with 3D views, as the visibility settings state "Display in 3D views and:".

Since 3D views show the doors closed (similar to elevations), I would like to have the handles for the plan views hidden in the 3D view. What's the best way to accomplish this? Adding a visibility parameter that I have to manually turn off every time I want to render?

Here's what I'm talking about visually - I want to hide the floating handles:

RevitDoorHandle.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: chadcross

Perhaps the simplest solution would be to edit the nested Family and place all of the extrusions on a Subcategory, which can then be turned off in 3D Views in the Project.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
chadcross
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Great idea.

I ended up duplicating the nested family, so my door family has two different handle families nested within it. 1 has a "Handle-Plan" subcategory, and the other has a "Handle-Elevation" subcategory. This way I can keep the correct handles turned on in the 3D view, and not have to hide both sets.

For anyone else with the same issue, these pictures might help:

(right click picture - open in new tab for full size image)

RevitDoorHandle2.jpg

RevitDoorHandle3.jpg

Message 4 of 4
alex.gallegos
in reply to: chadcross

Another way of hiding a Family within a Family (if the embedded Family is composed of a CAD 3D Extrusion) is to hide the 'Imported Catagories'.  e.g. Mechanical Equipment Clearance

Families - Hide Family within a Family via Linked Model 01.pngFamilies - Hide Family within a Family via Linked Model.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report