Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Linked files between offices and sharing central files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
RedMan77
573 Views, 4 Replies

Help with Linked files between offices and sharing central files

Seems the architecture folks really have a grasp on this topic so I came here.  Hard to ask the question I need in the subject line.  Here is the scenario. 

We have an engineering office and a contractor.  The engineering isn't as on-board with the whole Revit groove as the contractor is.  The contractor has created all the necessary equipment within their central. We want to send the file to the engineer to use by incorporating what we have already done into their central.  Any changes they agree/ disagree to we can take that file back and save it back to our central.  Is this viable or even possible?  Its my understanding that we can take back their file and save back to central/synchronize and provided the name is the same.  Their shouldn't be an issue since the database will query the new file and warn of us of any changes.  Is this correct?

If it isn't, how can we take their file other than linking in their drawing over ours and we shift the elements in our drawing to match their central.  What's the best way to achieve what I am after.  Hopefully I have confused too many folks.  Many thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ryan.duell
in reply to: RedMan77

A few thoughts \ possibilities on this workflow:

1.  You could take the contractors central file [containing the modified information] and link it into your architectural central file.  The specific elements you wish to “move” into your central file, could be TAB-selected, copied, and pasted into the central directly from the visible link.  This would place a copy of the element[s] specifically into your central file.

2.  If you are taking your architectural central file, and forwarding the file to the contractor \ engineer and they are opening and adding elements [either by adding manually, copy pasting, etc], you could save this modified central file as your new central file.

In this workflow you would save it to the same file name, but please keep in mind the versions in the “backup” folder would be reset, and all users should create new local files.  If this works that is another potential workflow.

3.  Lastly, you could simply have the contractor add the elements with your architectural file inserted as a link.  Think of this as a blank project, with your architectural link as an overlay, containing only the new elements they added.  Then you could simply link in their file containing the agreed elements.  Since the architectural file was the background [as an overlay link] you would only have to link this into your host architectural file.

I hope this helps. Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Tags (2)
Message 3 of 5
RedMan77
in reply to: ryan.duell

I think I have a basic understanding.  If I have (5) panels in the engineering central file and I link it in to my contractors central file which has (5) panels.  I would then delete any panels in the contractors central and replace it with the ones in the engineer through the link right?  The problem I see and it may lead to me altogehter abandoning this workflow is the issue with panels being hosted to the wall AND an panels I have connected to systems that the engineer hasnt.  Do you see any significant issues with this?  Thanks Ryan.

Message 4 of 5
ryan.duell

As this gets more complex, as you mentioned with systems and hosted elements, the workflow is probably better suited towards linking.  Ideally each contractor or consultant would model their data and provide this in a project file which could be linked in.  If it were simply a few isolated elements they could definitely be copied into the host project.  But as the project becomes larger and more complex the relationships should be maintained through file linking instead.

Ideally the consultant file you link in would have minimal “duplicate” elements which appear in each version of the file.  For example, if they linked in your architectural model and worked around that, all of your elements should be contained in the overlay link.  Then you would be able to link their file, back into yours, which would contain the system or discipline specific elements.  Since they used the architectural model as a reference they shouldn’t’ necessarily have floors, ceilings, walls etc.

I don’t know if this is possible for every scenario, but that is where the ideal workflow lays.  I’ve included a few links below:

http://docs.autodesk.com/subscription/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS1a9193826455f5ff603f1a63123ab...

http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2007/issue20-revit.html

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 5 of 5
RedMan77

Thanks.  That makes sense.  I will go over the links.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report