Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Render Appearance

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1460 Views, 9 Replies

Help: Render Appearance

Just a little warning, this is kind of long but it all needs to be read through to understand the problem, so please be patient and read through to help me out. Thanks!

So I'm using the student version of Revit 2010 and I ran into an error that I really need to fix quickly. When I'm in element properties and edit type and go to change the material, I continuously receive the same pop-up and Revit freezes up under two circumstances.

1. Graphics Tab> Shading Section> Click the "Use Render Appearance for Shading"
2. Render Appearance Tab> Type Properties Section> Image File

The pop-up I get is as follows:

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

| Cancel | | Try Again | | Continue |"

Whenever I select any of the options, Revit freezes then I have to restart the program. I have no idea what the pop-up could mean. When I open Revit, I receive another pop-up that I believe has some connection with this. It says:

"Some of the Revit content that you wish to install was not successfully installed. Do you want to try and install the content again?

If you click No, you will be asked again the next time you start Revit. Click Cancel to never be asked again.

| Yes | | No | | Cancel |"

I have tried clicked "Yes" and let it do whatever it does. I have attempted this multiple times. Each time I receive at pop-up at approximately 26% of the installation saying:

" Error: The data is invalid.
Choose to retry or to skip cabinet "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\NAImperial.cab".

| Skip | | Retry |"

When I select "Retry", the same thing pops up. When I select "Skip", I receive another pop-up saying:

"Warning: 1 of the 1 content bundle could not be installed and were skipped."

I've tried uninstalled Revit and the reinstalled it and still received the same messages. And I've tried repairing it through my control panel and the same thing happened. I installed this onto a brand new computer (less than 2 weeks old), so I don't think it has anything to do with my computer. So if anyone has some advice on what I can do to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance to anyone can help me out.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

man alive!

what a mess..

first thing i would do is make sure i knew where all my content was..

get a good look at this image attached to be sure you know what
content looks like..

then go ahead like you did before and reinstall revit- only this time
when the dialog for "configuration" comes up- follow in that and
look out for a check-box for NOT installing content..

then when you need content you can just go to that place you have it..

but honestly- why in the world would you be using a student version
like that when you can simply download revit for free? and if you
download it- you can let it install the content in the default locations
on your system drive..

sorry i'm probably making it worse..
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

On 3/8/2010 8:53 PM, amichal3 wrote:
> "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

Make sure that you are installing AND running Revit as a user that has
full write/modify permissions to the "Program Files\[Revit Product
Name]\Program" directory and subdirectories...

Running Revit on Win7x64, even as a local administrator, I had to
explicitly set "full control" settings on this directory for my user
name (or Users/Everyone) to avoid this error.

FYI, after clicking "Continue" enough times (maybe 20?), Revit always
came back and completed the changes.
--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

this is probably the quickest solution-
hit continue until it goes forward..
Message 5 of 10
sbernstein

I am not sure is this discussion is still going on but, after changing the folder propertiesfor Revit on Win 7

I still get the same error message with the: "please insert Disk....." when changing the material properties

to show render appearence.

Anyone else having the same problem or a solution for it besides pressing continue for about 20 times?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: sbernstein

wow- nine months later.. lol that "please insert disk" i have seen on rare occasions- but when i do i just click it away.. if this is important to you i can try to help you.. just please explain more..
Message 7 of 10
sbernstein

Thanks for your reply.

This is what is happening to my revit.

I got a new computer with Windows 7 -64 bit and installed revit 2010 on it, before that I was using windows X.

The problem is that I get a message : "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" every time I go to the materials dialog box and click on "use render appearance for shading" (under graphics - shading).

If I click "continue" about 20 times it goes away but it is kind of annoying. I never had this problem before when I was using Windows XP.

I did what Brian said on this thread about setting "full control" on Revit folder, but that did not help. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: sbernstein

sorry for my late response.. honestly i haven't checked "use render appearance for shading" for a long time and i don't really remember seeing that dialog you are talking about in connection with that command- but i DO recall seeing that dialog you are talking about once or twice in 5 years using revit.. but it was never a problem for me.. with "realistic view" for 2011 i don't need to check that box.. for me i used to use that for seeing what rendering material might be applied to that element.. but with realistic view i can see exactly what material is applied.. unless you just like to work in a shaded view mode- and often that is good too.. so then yes you would need that.. but like i said i don't know how to prevent that dialog from showing like you said because i just clicked cancel or something and never seen a problem with it.. if you can just make it go away i'm sure you won't have any problems with it.. but if you keep having real problems with it- post it here again and i will look into it..
Message 9 of 10
sbernstein

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I like to work on shade mode for 3d as it gives a better idea on how things will look once rendered. I heard

that Revit 2011 has the realistic view and it pretty much renders the 3d as it goes.

There is really no problem with the dialog, it is mostly an annoyance as it does not interfere with the rendering or

the visualization, it is just annoying to have to click on continue several times so it disappears.

Maybe I'll just have to live with it if there is really no solution as it seems to be a problem with Windows 7-64 bit.

Thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 10
rachel_jean85

Oh boy, I know your pain.  I know I'm posting this a year after the last post, but I"m having a similar issue.  I have a registered 2010 version, but I added a student version on another computer so I could create renderings while I was working.  Anyways, I moved a file that was opened in the student version onto my main computer.  Now I have this error message whenever I try to modify materials in ANY of my files.  Revit freezes up and I have to shut it down. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report