Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with roof parapet.

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
NigelParsons4560
1404 Views, 12 Replies

Help needed with roof parapet.

Hello,

Please refer to the image attached.

I have highlighted (blue) a timber and f/c sheet parapet that runs around the outside of a veranda roof.  This was done as a sweep.  My problem is simple: How do I get the path to follow the steep part of the roof over the stairs (30°) and then go horizontal again at the top?  I don't seem to be able to sketch the path in elevation.

Thanks

N.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

A sweep can use a 2D sketched path or pick 3D elements that define the path. In this case you ought to use the Pick Path option instead, picking each edge of the roof along the perimeter edge.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 13

I can't do it.  I just don't know what I'm doing with this one.  I'm getting all sorts of error messages "More than one loop not allowed" ... I don't even have a loop. ?!?!!

It is just not possible to do.  I pick the sloping piece of roof and then it won't let me add any horizontal segments.  Surely I must be able to just sketch the path.  Problems like this are just making my business unprofitable and wasting my time.

Message 4 of 13

Hard to tell for sure but are there gaps between your roof faces? The path must be continuous, no gaps or breaks between segments.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 13
arunag
in reply to: NigelParsons4560

Hi, You can instead use the Roof fascia tool to make it easy to place along slopes or flat roof edges. heres the pics to create your own profile of facia.

1.jpg

• 2.jpgYou could also use Structural beams to place them sloped or flat. If you still want to do a sweep only, put the straight path first & then the sloped line so that you can sketch the profile in any elevation view rather than a 3D view.Profile should be perpendicular to the path.

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Aruna
School of Architecture
Ramaiah Institute of Technology
Bangalore
Message 6 of 13

Nigel didn't reply yet but I suspect the roof eaves are not contiguous so a roof fascia would work but won't connect across the roof edges.
Message 7 of 13

Hello,

I didn't reply because in my timezone it was over night.  My tortured soul was attempting sleep.  I'm now back at my desk and I will try the fascia method.

Part of the problem seems to be the way I've drawn the roof over the top of stair landing.  It is independent and not contiguous. I shall see if I can fix that piece of roof first but I could not get the slope arrow to behave correctly.

Notwithstanding that, I could not get the sweep to run up the steep part of the roof.  I'll abandon the sweep method and try the fascia method as proposed in this thread.

Sorry to vent yesterday.  Revit really is my enemy sometimes.  I appreciate the patience and assistance you guys have to offer.

Cheers

N.

Message 8 of 13

I didn't understand this:

If you still want to do a sweep only, put the straight path first & then the sloped line so that you can sketch the profile in any elevation view rather than a 3D view.Profile should be perpendicular to the path

Also, I am using 2014.  I don't seem to be able to choose a profile.  I have options for vertical and horizontal dimensions only.

Message 9 of 13

2 hours on and I have done ZERO work.  Absolutely ZERO.

I am now printing the drawings in PDF.  I'm using a PDF editor to draw the parapet.

I still want to know how to do this properly, but my client insists on receiving drawings today.

Message 10 of 13

Latest update:

I did it using walls.  If I had thought of that earlier I would have saved a day.

Message 11 of 13

I thought of walls before but it looked like you were using a sweep along the base of the wall so I didn't think that would let you run it up the sloped section over the stairs. Glad you got it sorted out.

I put together a two minute video of what I was describing before. I just didn't have a chance until now to get online. My power was out all day while the power company was upgrading some equipment on our street...fun fun...

The video shows a roof, sketched flat and shape editing used to slope it. Then I created an in-place sweep to follow the edge of the roof.

Message 12 of 13

Hi Steve,

I didn't use a wall sweep.  I drew the walls with a floor offset of 2600 and a height of 600.  Then I edited the profile of the wall to create the slope and horizontal bit at the top.  It's good enough for me.  See attached.

I'll work through your video at home tonight.  Thanks for taking the time to treat my tortured soul.  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13

Well I'm sorry I didn't suggest it when I thought of it before. I convinced myself that you were trying to use some sort of profile (ie moulding) at the base of the parapet, which is why I was thinking you took the route of the in-place sweep in the first place.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report