Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed about Revit Server 2013

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Alfredo_Medina
2374 Views, 21 Replies

Help needed about Revit Server 2013

I would appreciate some help understanding the new behavior of Revit Server, in 2013. I used to have Revit Server 2012 in my server, and I used to be able to connect from my laptop and see the folders that I had created in the server, open the folder, and save the file, but now, in 2013, even though I have followed the instructions, and I can connect to the server,  I can't see, from my laptop, the folders that I have made in the server. I wonder if this has anything to do with my choice for those 3 options that appear at the time of installation: Host, Accelerator, and Admin. I chose all three.

This was the workflow in Revit Server 2012:

In Revit 2012, the icon to connect says "Connect to Revit Server" , I could connect, and then when I went to save, in the file dialog box, I had an icon that looked like a server, and was named simply as "Revit Server", which I could open and see my folders, and save my files. Everything was OK.

This is what happens in Revit Server 2013:

The icon to connect says "Manage connection to a Revit Server accelerator" , I can connect to the server, and then when I go to save, in the file dialog box, the icon now says "Revit Server Network", different name, but when I go to save, in the file dialog box, I can't see the folders that I have created in the server.

• I set up the RSN.ini file, and I can connect to the server correctly; the connection is not the problem, but where are my folders?
  • The new names, "Manage connection to a Revit Server accelerator" instead of "Connect to Revit Server" and  "Revit Server Network" instead of "Revit Server", are those the new standard names, or are they a consequence of the choices I made during the installation?

revit_server_13.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Never mind. I found the answer. The same RSN.ini file needs to be in both places, server and remote user.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 22

If both rsn.ini files are there but stil no servers visible, what to do then?

Peter

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI A/S, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 22

Hello, Peter, nice to see you here. I recommend you these 3 alternatives of help:

1. Ask an IT consultant. Most issues about Revit Server's connection are their territory, not ours.
  2. If you are under subscription, send question to Autodesk's Support. I did it and I got a quick reply by Lance Coffey.
  3. Read all about Revit Server in Wikihelp.
  4. Watch videos in Youtube and in the Wiki.
  5. Ask Cliff Collins. He is very well informed about this.
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?140287-Revit-Server

Probably you have already done all of the above, except # 5?

Message 5 of 22

Thanks Alfredo

I have done all that exept Product Support and contacting Cliff Collins. I will try Product Support.

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI A/S, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 22
ccollins
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I'm not sure I have the answer about having .ini files in all locations, but still no connectivity ( if I have the problem right?).

I'd check IIS setup, ping all servers from each location.

Also, an obvious one that sometimes gets overlooked is having Silverlight installed with latest version at all locations.

Does the Revit Server Admin web portal show anything in your browser?

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 22
ptranbergNTI
in reply to: ccollins

Hi 

Yes, I can connect and ping all servers, we have one with roles Host,Accelerator,Admin and one with roles Accelerator,admin. I can also reach both servers with http://<servername>/revitserveradmin2013 from my workstation, and see the folderstructure that I created.

The rsn.ini file is created on both servers and the workstation. As shown in this video http://thejame.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/revit-server-2013-revit-model-collaboration-across-lan-wan/#...

It should also be possible to see any host entry in the rsn.ini and see them even if they are "Ghosts" as in not present on the network.

Nothing shows up in the Revit workstation, not at open and also not when trying to save a workshared project. My firewall is checked for Files & Printers on the workstation as required.

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI A/S, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 22
ccollins
in reply to: ptranbergNTI

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/community/videos/Revit_Server/Configuring_Revit_Server_Prereq...

make sure all these steps have been followed.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 9 of 22

Thanks, Cliff, for the link to that video. It's the best video I've seen about that installation. Thanks.

Message 10 of 22
ccollins

Yes--those are good reference videos. Esp. for us "archies" who are also trying to be "IT gurus"! Smiley Happy

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 11 of 22
ptranbergNTI

All done by the book (In this case video). I'm wondering, could you make a rsn.ini file on a workstation with dummy host entrys and see them from Revit? I belive it should be possible!

Could someone make the test for me?

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI A/S, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

Message 12 of 22
ccollins

Here is another good one:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/community/videos/Revit_Server/WAN

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 13 of 22
ptranbergNTI

Yes Cliff, I follwed that to. Great stuff, but it doesn't work for me. I have now posted the Issue to Product Support. But if you could try the test I suggested, I would be glad to here the result.

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI A/S, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

Message 14 of 22
ccollins

We do not have RS 2013 online yet; only RS 2012--not sure if the test would work?

We are planning to roll out RAC 2013 and RS 2013 in the next week or so.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 15 of 22

@ptranbergNTI wrote:

All done by the book (In this case video). I'm wondering, could you make a rsn.ini file on a workstation with dummy host entrys and see them from Revit? I belive it should be possible!

Could someone make the test for me?

I don't understand the test that Peter is proposing. If I put a dummy name in the rsn.ini file, I won't be able to connect. The name in the file must match the name of the server that you are trying to connect to, or it's IP address.

Message 16 of 22
DarrenP

the reason would be to see if revit can see the dummy server name

i guess to be able to test to see if the rsn.ini is working?

which it should be able to

you just can't connect to it

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 22
ptranbergNTI
in reply to: DarrenP

You are right DarrenP. The test is not to connect to the server, it's only to se if Revit is able to show the host servers to search for. You don't have to have a Revit Server2013 to test.

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI A/S, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

Message 18 of 22

Peter,

Please contact me by email, and we can arrange a GotoMeeting session, and share the screen, and do the tests.

Message 19 of 22
mariepl

Hi Peter

Have you solved this issue?

I'm getting the same problem

Thanks

Message 20 of 22
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mariepl

Hello, Mariepl. This conversation was from August 2012, and the end of the story was that: Yes, I was able to save a file from my computer in Miami to Peter's computers in Denmark, through Revit Server, without doing any setup from my computer but just the name of Peter's server in my rsn.ini file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report