Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Can't make a roof host family cut?!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
DylanRead
1556 Views, 5 Replies

Help! Can't make a roof host family cut?!

This is probably super simple but,

I've made a few roof hosted families, and they've all been fine in the past. For some reason, with this one, when you load it into a project it appears to be one 'ref level' too high for the roof host, hence revit errors, displaying that it can't cut the roof void.

I assume this is something really simple I should (or not!) have done with the family when I started it, can it be saved? can anyone help!?

this one took weeks to make!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
DylanRead
in reply to: DylanRead

screen grab attached if that makes it any easier to understand!

Message 3 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

Did you check that the family was cutting the roof at the very beginning of the creation of this family, before moving on to model all the elements on top of the roof?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 6
DylanRead

Hi Alfredo, I did! I have a few backups as I worked through the making of the family which all sit on the roof host and cut it. unfortunately, I don't know why it now tries to insert 4000mm above the roof, nor can I work out what I must have done to make it do that?!

I tried fiddling with the host properties in the family editor, and have managed to make the family actually appear in a project, just that it sits 4000mm above the roof, and obviously doesn't cut it!

Any idea?!

cheers,

Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

It is very hard to troubleshoot somebody else's families, you know, because once we open a family we have no way to know the previous steps the user took to get to the current state.

(I don't know if journal files work on families, but it would be hard to interpret a journal file for families, anyway.)

In normal conditions, a roof based family with a void should work, cutting the roof, and placing any other model elements on top of the roof. You might have changed something about the hosts, the reference planes, etc, but it is hard to tell what.

By the way, you have way too many types in that family. If you need more than 5 or 6 types, use a catalog. That is why loading this family takes so long, because it has too many types.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6
DylanRead

Thanks for the steer there, I was starting to think that it was the amount of geometry in the family that was taking the family so long to load into a project and adjust constraints, now i know to look into catalogs, or just remove some types and state that we can produce anything to the mm.

I appreciate it's difficult to look into the construction of a family, I myself have come back to some that I've made and had to scratch my head a little when trying to re edit them!

I've just unpinned the host roof in the family editor and chosen 'edit footprint'. As per the attached .jpg, it seems to account for the 4000mm difference. Am I any closer to working out what's gone on here?!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report