Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hanging pausing when working across network

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Jroper
460 Views, 4 Replies

hanging pausing when working across network

I have a user that is having trouble with Revit hanging up and pausing every time he tries to modify something.  File is in Minneapolis and we are in Boise.  He can open a copy that is detached from central and located in Boise and move things around with no pausing.  The same drawing in Minneapolis constantly hangs for a second before it can be moved.  But once the annotation or element is moved (touched), it seems to quit hanging.

I'm trying to understand the how files work for Revit.  If you open a rvt file in Revit, it's my understanding that it creates a local file for you to work on.  Then you sync it back to central periodically or once you are done making edits.  But is there a constant communication from the local file back to the central database?  If so, why is it pausing each time?  We have Riverbed devices between the offices.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Jroper

I am assuming that you are working with worksharing enabled.  You are working on a local copy, but Revit still needs to communicate back to the central file.  Every time you try to edit an item, Revit checks with the central file to verify that no other user owns that object.  If not, you become the owner and are allowed to edit it.  You will remain the owner until you relinquish the object or synchronize to central.

The farther away the central model is, the more opportunity for noticeable lags to develop.  If you frequently work on models where the central file is in a remote location, you may want to look into using Revit Server.  We had issues working between New York and Philadelphia and Washington, DC and Philadelphia (long sync times, with frequent failures), but on projects done using Revit Server 2014 have not experienced those problems.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
BIMologist_

While you look into the Revit Server installation, I would also recoommend to do this.

1. Break project in Worksets, in your case this might be Boise Scope where you put all the items that the remote office is working on. This way the user can make themselves the OWNER of the whole workset (not recomended as owning a whole workset can create issues for other users)

2.  Use the worksets to put all links that are loaded into separate worksets. this way you load only the ones you want and this speeds up the initial load and reduces load on the users ram while working. (not related to lag, just faster loading)

3. better option than 1. Instead of sleecting one object at a time, try to select all the objects in the area that they are working on, Right Click and select Make elements Editable. This will BORROW all the elements from the central so it does not have to PING constantly to the central server. Also when SWC/STC uncheck Borrowed Elements so not to relinquish the elements and having to borrow them again.

4. IF another user needs an element from the borrowed set, the user can request the release and the Boise user can grant them the request if they have not modified the object, they have, then a full SWC will be required.

Hope this helps in the iterim

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Autodesk Expert Elite Member
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 4 of 5
BIMologist_

I forgot to mention that another option would be to setup a computer in Min office that the Boise can Remote into and work on the file wither via Autodesk Remote or Remote Desktop. The problem with that strategy is that you need a dedicated machine for that purpose, unless you go the Critrix/VDI expensive route. Another option you can also look at if you do not have the server resources for Revit Server at each location is WAFS

http://www.globalscape.com/wafs/

I think with their software solution and under 2 grand you can speed things up.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 5 of 5
Jroper
in reply to: BIMologist_

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if these suggestions are helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report