Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Issue - Hating Revit right now.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1367 Views, 10 Replies

Graphics Issue - Hating Revit right now.

Can ANYONE help me..

I produce 3d models for client proposal. My Revit knowledge is self taught. I am getting my head around everytrhing accept why the hell my 3d models look dodgy with model parts becoming "slightly" transparent in certain areas. Makes walkthrough videos look terrinle .Whne i zoom right in, the lines of model parts below the most external model parts disappear. Whne i am zoomed out they show through.Anyone else experience this? How do i fix?

I have wasted far to much time on this. It would be great for my company and for myself to show that i can create a perfect model for them but this is rubbish. Never had problems like this with ArchiCAD.

Is it just me or is it almost impossible to contact revit directly.. Can anyone tell me how..?

I have attached a pic of what i am talking about. Arrows point to the lines coming through. Settings are no hidden line.

-Ross

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Sometimes when two objects are slightly overlapping or just too close together, Revit might get confused about which of the two objects should display. I don't know how your model is done, but see if you can hide the objects that are behind the metal panels, or see if there is any interferences.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Revit gets "confused"..?  Smiley Indifferent      ... ok... Its a 3d modelling program and it gets confused when you put 3d objects over 3d objects... I find that quite ridiculous.

ArchiCAD was so much more polished than this.. Revit does my head in.

I cant just hid the objects beneath. For eg if i turn off structural framing it will look fine on the exterioir, but once my walktrough goes inside i have no structural framing shown which i need shown.

Does ANOYONE have a solution for this, or am i supposed to just accept Revit is not capable of producing the quality of model I need/expect.

thanks for the reply by the way.

Message 4 of 11
awes

Well it's seem like rvt bleeds through. I made a wall panel 2 mm thin/ thick and put one panel in front of the other touching the surface. From far away the edges bleed through. When taking a closer look the bleeding stops. When thickening the wall in front to 5 mm no bleeding can be seen. Using rvt 2013 +quadro 4000 with lastest drivers and updates.

Anders

Message 5 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

That's what happens. When the distances are too small or too close, Revit gets confused. 🙂 , and as you have said, the issue changes depending on the zoom. Maybe the video card has something to do with this, also.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

A number of 3d apps have similar issues if surfaces are co-planer (ie placed perfectly over one another) The programme cannot determine which, if any, should take priority.

Out of interest - do those issues appear in a rendered view or just the viewport screengrab ?

Which graphics card are you using ?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Im using ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card. If its a video card issue, I think Revit should have advised whoever bought this software within my company that they needed a specific graphics card. Do they expect we are to just buy a new graphics card..? this computer was built specifically for CAD, that information would have been nice when the Revit purchase was made.

These issues appear when I am in "3d View" and they remain in the walkthrough videos I create. I have graphic display set to "consistent colors".

Message 8 of 11
loboarch

@Anonymous wrote:

A number of 3d apps have similar issues if surfaces are co-planer (ie placed perfectly over one another) The programme cannot determine which, if any, should take priority.

From the one image and the description this sounds like what the  issue is.  It is related to thin elements and the ability to "back cull" the surfaces.  As the zoom level changes it is hardder and harder to represetn the difference between 2 layers which are very close to one another so they will "bleed through".  Essentailly what is happening is the representation of 2 surfaces is trying to occupy the same pixel on your screen.  Sometimes one surface wins, sometimes the other surface wins.  Thicker materials, pulling them away from one another, or turning the visibility of one of them off is the only solution.  You are fighting math and the pixel size of your screen to some degree.  

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

I'm not familiar with the ATI range of cards - but a quick look-up on the HD5450 would lead me to suspect that it isn't really a CAD/REVIT competent card. It seemed to retail at about $55 when new in 2010.

If that is the card you have in the workstation, it is going to be limited in viewport performance compared to more recent cards - I'm not saying it won't work (you've obviously been using it), just that it may well inhibit performance compared to other GPUs.

The card therefore may also be part of the problem.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I don't know if you will ever get this request, but I draft post-frame structures using CAD-LT. The steel on these buildings is very similar to your building. The closest I can get to the image is Clapboard rotated. Where did you get the siding style, if you don't mind my asking?

Message 11 of 11
chrisplyler

I have NVIDIA Quadro 4000 cards, with the most recent drivers certified for Revit, and the same thing happens. I don't think it's the fault of the cards. The only way I've found to solve the problem is to use the linework tool to make the offending edges invisible. And of course you can't select them by the offending bleed-through line that's visible. You have to hide whatever is in front of them, turn them invisible, and then unhide the whatever you hid.

I made my own R-Panel siding. I'm sure others have done the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report