Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic / Visibility / Component display. Where to start...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rientsbruinsma
523 Views, 2 Replies

Graphic / Visibility / Component display. Where to start...

Can anyone direct me toward some resources on display etc. Most of the resources on the web/Youtube seem to be geared toward rendering etc, when I'm trying to create details and sections of cabinetry.

It's difficult to explain because what's going on with the Visibility/graphics seems so non-sensical.

But I can sometimes assign a material in a component & it displays in my model, but other times it's Ok in the family editor but not in my model. Playing with the graphics/visibility seems to have no effect. Overrides by element tend to work, while by category very seldom (floors seem to be OK, but not much else).

Ideally I'd like to be applying the material in the family editor to an extrusion & have it display (hatch/lineweight) as such when I cut a section through it. ATM I'm hatching the section after the cut (hatching is a right pig in Revit)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mjohnson
in reply to: rientsbruinsma

You wouldn't have problems with walls and floors, they're not editable families.  The reason your materials aren't transferring from the family editor to you project are the materials.  If you apply materials inside the family editor, those need to be relfected the same in your project.  Try applying a hatch design in the family editor under the Default material name.  When you bring it into your project you'll have a similar Default material, you'll need to apply the same hatch design here.  Thats one way to get your hatch to show up, using the same material name in your project, as is in your family editor.  

The other way would be assigning an Associate Family Parameter.  I'm not sure if you've done that before.  Select an extrusion in your family editor and look at its properties, Should be a materials and finishes area.  You can change the material of the extrusion here, or if you click the little icon to the right of the box that says Default (as shown in the attached file 101).  Now you can add a parameter to this extrusion(attached file 102).  After saving and loading it into your project you'll still need to assign a material.  Create a new material in your materials manager with the desired hatch(attached file 103), select the new family you brought in and go to its properties.  You'll now be able to assign your hatch material to it rather than draw a hatch design.  This will also transfer over to a section cut.

Hope this helped

Message 3 of 3
rientsbruinsma
in reply to: mjohnson

Thank You,

I'll give that a shot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report