Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graded Surface to Display Existing and New

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
TRCadmin
4754 Views, 9 Replies

Graded Surface to Display Existing and New

Hello All,

On those rare occasions my firm does it's own civil drawings, we like to see the new countour lines as thick solid lines with the old existing/demolished lines as light hidden lines.  Is there any way to display both of these lines after you've graded a surface/region.  I feel like it has something to do with the phase filter dialog but can't get it to work.  Currently the only way I can get it to display both properly is to switch my visual style to wireframe, which is hardly a good option when I've got a building on the site.  It makes it look like gobbeldy-**** in wire frame..  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~Wes~ 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
alan.quinn
in reply to: TRCadmin

I understand you have questions about graded regions. I’m not sure if you found this link on Wikihelp about Graded Regions, but please review as I think it may help. http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/0135-Prelimin135/0170-Site_Des170/0.... Thanks for posting.  

Message 3 of 10
TRCadmin
in reply to: alan.quinn

Alan,

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately, I still can't get both to display at once without switching to wireframe.  I've followed the wikihelp examples and instructions to the tee and still no luck.  Well, I should say, it depends on what I move.  If I grade a surface to be lower, I can see the higher existing topo lines as demolished.  But if I grade a surface to be higher, than the existing topo lines disappear under the new topo surface.

~Wes~ 

Message 4 of 10
alan.quinn

Try this as I think it may work. Duplicate your site plan and call one existing and one new. Change the display of one so the contour lines display differently. In your sheet place the new construction phase showing the altered site and them superimpose the existing. You may have to 1/2 the existing, but it should display. Try it and let me know your results.  

Message 5 of 10
loboarch

You can place an override on the category "topography" to make it display transparent in the view where you wan tto see both sets of contour lines.  That would allow you to still have a hidden line view so you building shows up right and also lets the existing contours show through the new contours.

contour_lines.png

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: loboarch

Overriding by element the newer site to be transparent would be enough. And set the view 's Phase Filter to "Show Demo + New".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 10
TRCadmin
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Jeff and Alfredo.  Both options work great.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  It seemed so obvious once I read it, and it works like a charm.  Your help is much appreciated.

Message 8 of 10
italonge
in reply to: loboarch

Hi everyone

The soluction presented by Jeff would work for me, and I am working with phases and visibilities but nothing seems to work!
Is there some step by step of that work? My project is all unconfigured already and I about to make something new...

Thank you

Message 9 of 10
inboxjls
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Years later....this comment is still the bomb!  Site looks perfect!

Message 10 of 10

The problem I see with this solution is the solid lines show through even with transparency. Existing topo lines should show as dashed, even when unchanged. All you have done is allowed what is demo'd to show through, you have not resolved the existing vs new problem. Best solution I have found for this is duplicating and stacking views on a sheet. First placed view is Existing phase with lines shown dashed, area of disturbance gets a masking region. Next stack can be your suggestion of New Construction with phase filter of Demo + New, crop the view to match the area of disturbance. The really annoying part is that for topo line annotation you have to annotate in both views. Topo annotations don't extend beyond the view crop box.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report