Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth Terrain in Revit

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Janinegessner
8799 Views, 7 Replies

Google Earth Terrain in Revit

hello, I´m looking for a way to import google earth view in revit like its possible in civil 3d?

i found many information about, but nothing were helping for my issue.

i read something about globe link, but i cant find a download. who could help me?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
atobiasz
in reply to: Janinegessner

Global Link is no longer available as a download for free. You need to be a subscription member since 2013 versions came live.

If you are a subscription member you need to download and install it. Then under the "Add-Ins" tab you will see external tools. Select "Acquire from Google Earth" and the rest should fall in line. Note that you must have google earth running at the same time. This tool will basically copy paste and scale what it sees on google earth and plug it in as a black and white picture in your file.

If you do not have subscription you will have to get google earth free. Find the area you like to use and print a picture or pdf. Link that picture in your revit file and scale it based on the scale that usually comes with a google earth print. a little bit more manual but this way you can also have it in color.

----------------------------
Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8
ccollins
in reply to: Janinegessner

Take a look at Vasari--it automatically inserts the Google image and you can see it in 3D view--which you cannot in Revit.

Vasari is a version of Revit that only contains Conceptual Massing and Energy Analysis Tools.

It saves .rvt files, so you can use it seamlessly with Revit--but remember it ONLY models Masses/Mass Families.

But the Google import is very easy and nice to have.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 8
ian.shafer
in reply to: ccollins

I like the idea of the API but has anyone been able to import the terrain from GE to create a toposurface?

I'd hate to have to blow the dust of my old AutoCAD to accomplish this ...

Ian

Message 5 of 8
atobiasz
in reply to: ian.shafer

One way of getting a terrain surface from GE into Revit is using Google Sketchup. I am not sure if it is a supported feature in the Sketchup Free version but in Sketchup Pro you can insert a GeoLocation wich inserts a terrain into you sketchup file. Export the file to autocad and Link it into Revit (no autocad required). This way you can create a toposurface in Revit using the terrain layer.

Actually I think Sketchup Free does not support AutoCAD exports. The Pro Version is required for this.

----------------------------
Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8

Hi there,

I feel like a bit of an idiot - I've only just started using Revit and everywhere I see even under help in Revit 2013 is this mysterious "Add-Ins" TAB which for the life of me I can't find....

When referring to "Add-Ins" TAB does that just mean like "LANDCADD", "Extensions", Revit Express Tools" etc tabs that appear after installing extensions or addins?

Or should there be an actual TAB labeled "Add-Ins"? If so why isn't mine showing up?

Thanks for any assistance on this 🙂

MM

Message 7 of 8

Revit 'Add In' Tab won't be available/visible until you install at least one add-in software.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 8 of 8

Ok but I have installed about 5 addins already and I don't see the "Add-Ins" tab, I just see specific tabs for each addin I have installed ie LANDCADD tab, Extensions tab etc....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report