Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Globe Link for Autodesk Revit 2013

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
deeRbee
2261 Views, 4 Replies

Globe Link for Autodesk Revit 2013

So, I’ve spent my morning trying to get Globe link to work for Revit 2013. I get like a dog with a bone with these things, and before I launch into an afternoon of trying to figure this out, could someone tell me if it's a nonstarter?

What I have: Revit 20121003_2115(x64) Update Release 2. I have installed Google Earth 7.1.1.1580 (beta). Having read the Autodesk wikihelp, it suggests Globe link is optimised for Google Earth 4 or other forums suggests Google Earth 5. I cannot find a way to download this version from Google, and reluctant to download this from another source.

The problems I'm facing: When selecting my newly installed Add-Ins on the ribbon, and choosing acquire from Google Earth, it tells me 'You must turn off the Google Earth's Terrain before acquirement'. I cannot find this option, and i've read that you need Google Earth Pro in order to do this. Is this correct?

The second option I chose was to import Google earth file (KML/KMZ). I emailed a GoogleEarth_Placement.kmz to myself and imported it into Revit. I was hoping I’d get a raster image on my site, but it was just two GEI Grid lines grouped together. Is there anyway I can get an image to use on my toposurface, or just in  3D view?

Any help with this would be much appreciated, and could save me an afternoon of frustration. 

db.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

after some frustrating experieces with Globe Link I found that CADtoEarth from : http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com can work fine for me....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
deeRbee
in reply to: deeRbee

Thanks for your response. Have you managed to export images from CADtoEarth? I used it yesterday but I couldn't find a way to import this into the actual Google Earth. I just had a relatively small window to view the model in.

Regards

db

Message 4 of 5

open Google Earth >File>Open..open the kmz file you have saved  from Revit with the option Export Model to Earth - Google Earth...after a wile you will see your 3d object on full screen...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

what I appreciate more at CADtoEarth is the 3d Terrain that comes with it,

Here are the steps that must be made in order to achieve this:

• in Revit go to CADtoEarth> CADtoEarth Pane > search location (type the name of the location) > adjust the Width till the message Can Save appears > Surface >set the number of parts (10-50)-the more parts -more detailed >Save Earth"s Surface ( take care that at Options the 3D TerrainLayer to be checked)
  • In Revit > Get Surface (from CADtoEarth) > a mesh will appear (called Import Symbol)
  • Now go in Massing and Site > Toposurface > Create from Import > Select Import Instance> click on Imported Symbol>Add Points from Selected Layers> Check all >OK ...exit from TopoSurface menu
  • Unhide the Imported Symbol so to see only the new Toposurface with curves

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report