Revit Architecture

mcfletch2015
Message 1 of 16 (489 Views)
Accepted Solution

Glass ball/concrete skin

489 Views, 15 Replies
04-15-2013 09:26 PM

Is there any way to replicate this skin of solid glass spheres hardened into concrete in the form of a panel of some sort?

2.PNG

That what you want is more typical for 3DS Max .....In Max this can be done both by 3d modeling - for instance using Box with Latice Modifier(or a other more sofisticated function) or by bitmap material maping.

Exporting 3d dwg from Max to Revit can be done , but in this case the model is too complicated, 

If you want to do it in Revit , my opinion is that the only choice is to use material maping....

In order to achieve this task :

• first create  in Photoshop a texture for the material ,one for Relief Pattern and one for Cutouts (in this case can be used the same map)
  • in Revit , select the object and apply a new material , it has to be a metal material because metal has Cutouts (a transparence filter) for example : Stainless steel <> Relief Pattern <>Cutouts ...apply the image created in Photoshop

I attached a render to see what can be done using this method....

A better method is to export the Revit file (fbx file) into 3ds Max and making there the material using the same Photoshop material and rendering...

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 16 (452 Views)

Re: Glass ball/concrete skin

04-16-2013 05:41 AM in reply to: mcfletch2015

What is the pattern or logic, if there is a pattern?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
mcfletch2015
Message 3 of 16 (434 Views)

04-16-2013 12:31 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

There isn't a specific pattern or logic. I'm simply trying to accomplish the idea of how glass balls are molded into the concrete that have transmissive and reflective qualities of light.

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 4 of 16 (416 Views)

04-16-2013 05:35 PM in reply to: mcfletch2015

That what you want is more typical for 3DS Max .....In Max this can be done both by 3d modeling - for instance using Box with Latice Modifier(or a other more sofisticated function) or by bitmap material maping.

Exporting 3d dwg from Max to Revit can be done , but in this case the model is too complicated, 

If you want to do it in Revit , my opinion is that the only choice is to use material maping....

In order to achieve this task :

• first create  in Photoshop a texture for the material ,one for Relief Pattern and one for Cutouts (in this case can be used the same map)
  • in Revit , select the object and apply a new material , it has to be a metal material because metal has Cutouts (a transparence filter) for example : Stainless steel <> Relief Pattern <>Cutouts ...apply the image created in Photoshop

I attached a render to see what can be done using this method....

A better method is to export the Revit file (fbx file) into 3ds Max and making there the material using the same Photoshop material and rendering...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
mcfletch2015
Message 5 of 16 (407 Views)

04-16-2013 05:54 PM in reply to: constantin.stroescu

I used rhino for the image I sent you but the rendering process with the geometries and the compatibility with revit wasn't working well. This alternative helps a lot. I appreciate your efforts. I will try to do this and see if I get the same results.

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 6 of 16 (384 Views)

04-16-2013 11:04 PM in reply to: mcfletch2015

I din not work in Rhino , but as I know its files can be imported well in Revit.

I worked with imported 3d dwg objects ( in Families and then loaded in the Project )and they could edited only on material field but, they could be cut in sections...I supose the same happens with rhino files....

Maybe this documentation can help you for exporting to Revit:

http://www.bimtopia.com/faqs/item/transferring-models-rhino-to-revit-to-rhino.html

http://rhinorevit.wordpress.com/

http://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/Rhino_File_Exchange

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 7 of 16 (368 Views)

04-17-2013 08:13 AM in reply to: constantin.stroescu

This can be done in Revit, too, combining the following features: Divide & Repeat, and adaptive points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
mcfletch2015
Message 8 of 16 (348 Views)

04-17-2013 10:21 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Would you mind elaborating a bit on this method?

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 9 of 16 (330 Views)

04-17-2013 03:03 PM in reply to: mcfletch2015

The explanation might be rather long for this format. I suggest you to visit the blog of Zach Kron, software analyst for Autodesk, the name of the blog is Buildz. He has some blog articles dedicated to the topic of Divide & Repeat, in combination to adaptive points.

mcfletch2015
Message 10 of 16 (323 Views)

04-17-2013 04:46 PM in reply to: mcfletch2015
Ok great! I will do so.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!