Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass and V/G Overrides

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tbryanm
1129 Views, 5 Replies

Glass and V/G Overrides

Can someone please explain why glass in curtain wall and storefront panels can be overriden but not the the glass in windows? If you tell me that its because curtainwall panels can be other than glass, I don't buy, move on! Because of this inconsistancy, my effing dwgs look so juvenile and unprofessional. I end up wasting my fee on masking regions. It makes no sense to exclude 'glass' as a model category. About as pointless as a model category called 'parts'.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
subhra_civil
in reply to: tbryanm

Hi,

Can you please send me image file or Revit file for what you exactly want? I am not clear thru your written statement about "Curtain Wall System" & "Storefront Panel System". What you exacly want? Both systems are wall system with glass. you cant avoid glass in "Curtain Wall System" but you can create avoid in "Storefront Panel System". You can change the character of the glass in "Storefront Panel System".

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India 

Message 3 of 6
subhra_civil

Hi,

Just do one thing. Create a "Curtain Wall" & "Strorefront System". Select the Glass using by "Tab Key". Then go to properties > Click on "System Panel Glazed" and then select "Empty system Panel > Empty.

This can help you what you want as per my understanding from your written statement. I am sending you an image file also for you help. Please let me know if it is helpful for you or not.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 4 of 6
rosskirby

If you want to be able to override the glass portion of a window, you'll have to make it a nested shared family.  That way you can tab-select it independently of the window frame and override it.

The reason most window families aren't built that way is that the window, like a chair, is considered a unit.  You wouldn't want to manually override just one chair leg, right?  Same thing with windows.  Since curtain walls can have multiple elements as infill panels, they're set up by default to be able to select and override individual panels.  

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 6
tbryanm

That makes sense, thanks.
Message 6 of 6
rosskirby

Glad I could help.  

Bonus tip: if the glass is a nested shared family, you can schedule it separately from the window as well (in case you needed a takeoff schedule showing how many pieces of each size glass you needed).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report