Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get ceiling height in room schedule

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
rasm578s
12952 Views, 14 Replies

Get ceiling height in room schedule

Is there a way to get the ceiling height automatic in a schedule?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

yes it is...

• First assure that from : Architecture > Room and Area > Area and Volume Computation > Area and Volumes is checked ( also at wall finish)
  • Make the Room Schedule that mandatory contains  the fields : Area and Volume 
  • Now , in : Properties > Fields > Calculated Value > create a new field , call it Height ( Formula , Discipline: Common, Type: Lentgh, Formula - click on the 3 points symbol and : Volume/Area
  • Add the new created field : Height into the schedule..it will show the ceiling height....
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 15

Hi,

This all work apart from that I don't have Area/Volume available as a field.

If I create a Project Parameter I get the height in the Schedule by following your guide but it requires manual input in the properties window.

What do I need to do to automate this procedure please?

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner
Message 4 of 15

did you:

• use Room Schedule ?
  • Room and Area > Area and Volume Computation > Volume Computation > Areas and Volumes ?

Have a look on my screenshots.....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 15

Thanks for clarifying. That is perfect.

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner
Message 6 of 15
rkremer
in reply to: bimandict

Thank you for the great instructions. 

Question for anyone, this technique looks at the "height" that is determined thru a very cool formula. IS there any way for the schedule to read the actual ceilings that are placed in the spaces? Our ceilings are sometimes not at the same height as the area space.

thanks,

Rick Kremer

PGAL, Boca Raton , FL

Message 7 of 15
SteveKStafford
in reply to: rkremer

Ceilings provide a boundary for rooms (and spaces) but they aren't limited to bounding only one. As such ceilings don't have a relationship with a single room, any rooms. Short answer is no, we can't have a room schedule that connects the dots between the actual ceiling object above it.

The API can probably be used extract a relationship between a rooms(s) and a ceiling(s) which in turn could provide a value to appear in a schedule via a Shared Parameter but it would need to be updated to ensure a valid value is present.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 8 of 15
jrice
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Great tip, thanks! I added a conditional format that will add a black background to any cells greater than 12', essentially masking out the height  with a note stating Black Backgound = No Ceiling/Exposed Structure. 

Jaret Rice
Autodesk Certified Professional Revit 2015
Message 9 of 15
brianW557L
in reply to: rasm578s

This doesn't really solve the problem. The ceiling height should be associated with the ceiling, not the "room".

Message 10 of 15

Area/Volume just shows the upper limit of a room. The assumption relies that the upper limit or unbounded height of the room being the same as your ceiling height. This doesn't work if you have 9'-0 or 10'-0" ceilings. I believe the OOTB default is set to 8'-0, so this works if your ceilings are 8'-0" all around. 

Message 11 of 15
malcolmstroud14

I use 'Limit Offset' in Rooms. It isn't associated with the actual ceiling but can be adjusted in a schedule and represents something like the physical upper limit of the room.

Message 12 of 15

Hello,

I'm in need of the ceiling height in a room schedule also. I don't understand your directions. Can you do a step by step please?

Thank you.

Message 13 of 15
ay_dmagill

So, this is a longshot, but if we have a room with a cloud ceiling, and our "Ceiling Height" parameter only reports a length parameter, is there any possible way to override the value in that field to read *VARIES*, or something similar?

A calculated parameter with the formula if(Ceiling Height<0,"*VARIES*",Ceiling Height) returns an Inconsistent Units error, and I can't think of a way to cancel out the units.

Message 14 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: ay_dmagill

@ay_dmagill wrote:

So, this is a longshot, but if we have a room with a cloud ceiling, and our "Ceiling Height" parameter only reports a length parameter, is there any possible way to override the value in that field to read *VARIES*, or something similar?

A calculated parameter with the formula if(Ceiling Height<0,"*VARIES*",Ceiling Height) returns an Inconsistent Units error, and I can't think of a way to cancel out the units.

No.  Some workaround:

1. All versions: Mask the schedule cells using Conditional Format. 

2. Revit 2022:  Divide the room into 2 and they should have different ceiling heights because of the different ceiling clouds.  The 2 rooms should have identical name/number/etc... so that they can be grouped as a single row in the schedule.  With these settings, the Ceiling Height cell will show "Varies".

Message 15 of 15
ay_dmagill
in reply to: ToanDN

That is a spectacular workaround! Thank you.

The 2022 comment makes me even more excited to roll forward.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report