Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic objects and void forms

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
VWD-MLM
6809 Views, 7 Replies

Generic objects and void forms

It seems that Generic Objects created from a Generic Roof Based template which is brought into a tproject and placed, cannot be "cut out" by an in-place Void Mass.  Is this correct?

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ryan.duell
in reply to: VWD-MLM

You are correct; there are restrictions on cutting geometry with voids between 2 in-place or component families. 

While join geometry works for some categories of families with solid geometry between 2 families [such as generic model families], you cannot cut geometry between the 2 families. 

However this should work for most system families; such as walls, roofs, floors, etc.  You can create a component generic model family for example, load it into a project, and use join geometry between the component family and a system family wall.

If possible I would recommend adding the void geometry in the same family, or creating the component entirely as an in-place component containing the void as well.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 8
hankspielberg
in reply to: ryan.duell

"You are correct; there are restrictions on cutting geometry with voids between 2 in-place or component families."

Why ?

Thanks,

Hank 

Message 4 of 8
VWD-MLM
in reply to: hankspielberg

I'm doing a "SHOP DWG" Model for an ExteriorPanel Wall Man'f in NC for this bdlg, which eventually be turned into Fabrication  Parameters,  When I built the Alum Composite Canopy Panels from the various Generic templates, it was with the idea because they allowed me a significant level of flexibility in the Sweeps and extrusions for their various profiles.  At that level, they are performing great.  But I was also thinking in using them was that since they were "Mass" objects, or so I thought, they could be cut as neede with 'inplace voids at certain locations to fit the need......see attached for  an example.  I guess I could play with parametric voids within the family, but I see that as being a real pain to control.  And the Sytem roofs, walls and floor slab families don't give me enough flexibility, especially when creating and controlling"Edge" profiles and ends.  Will keep playing before the next project coming soon with something else.  If there are any suggestions, I'm open.

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 5 of 8
bolwazy
in reply to: VWD-MLM

(revit 2012)

I'm trying to do a similar cutout: between a roof modeled in a project (home>roof>by footprint) and a void form inside an in-place component created in the same file (category: roofs). Everything is pretty straigtworward.

However, the cutout seems to work until I click the "finish model" button. After that the subtraction is filled by the original geometry of the roof.

The only thing that occurs afterwards is that the roof is divided into two parts (one of them being in a shape of the geometry that should be cut out). I can hide that other part (unfortunately not delete it) getting a result looking like the desired effect but not as universal.

What can I do to successfully subtract a geometry from a roof modeled in a project?

Message 6 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: bolwazy

bolwazy wrote: ...

What can I do to successfully subtract a geometry from a roof modeled in a project?

Maybe you are finish the void model and then trying to see if cuts the roof. Use Cut Geometry before clicking on "Finish Model".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 8
bolwazy
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you for the hint but I already knew that after finishing the component, the "cut geometry" tool does not work.

Sorry for the mess - a while after posting in this thread I tried copying the roof into an empty, new file and everything worked just fine. So i'm getting convinced that something is wrong with my project file.

Can anyone give me a hint where could I start looking for a solution to the "corrupt file" problem?

Message 8 of 8
bolwazy
in reply to: bolwazy

OK, found the solution.

All the problems with the void form not cutting properly the geometry of the original roof were bound to the phasing stages of the roof and the in-place component... They were not equal... Furthermore, the values of phasing parameters in the view properties window obscured the whole situation.

Again, that was my mistake and hopefully someone in the future will not waste two days of his life with such an issue ;]

//facepalms are welcome

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report