Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Model Plan/RCP Visibility Problems

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ryanpkremer
3612 Views, 8 Replies

Generic Model Plan/RCP Visibility Problems

Hello,

Please see the attached PDF file.

I have a generic model with display in "Plan/RCP" unchecked - which is what I want.

I saved the family and loaded it into my project (replacing the previous version and parameters) however, the model still displays in plan view (see page 2 of the PDF).

Please note that the model itself is drawn in the correct plane with respect to it's plan orientation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ryanpkremer

Would you able to post the family file? Without seeing the actual file, it comes down to just guessing at a cause. What template did you use to create this family? Are there any Symbolic Lines in the Ref. Level view?

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, ryanpkremer!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
ryanpkremer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I inserted the family (attached) in a new project, and it displays correctly.  There must be something goofy with my project.  The family is locked to and joined with other geometry in the project.  Would that affect anything?  Any ideas as to what might be up with my project file?

In addition to the family file, I am attaching a screenshot of the family in place.

Thanks,

Ryan

Message 4 of 9
CoreyDaun

It sounds like the Family was not overridden when reloaded into the family. Try reloading it again, and you if you don't get a prompt to overwrite, draw a random line in the family and immediately delete it, and reload it again.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
CoreyDaun

@ryanpkremer wrote:

"The family is locked to and joined with other geometry in the project.  Would that affect anything?"

If the family was changed/redefined so that the constraint references were made invalid, it wouldn't prevent the family from being changed, but rather, would simply break the constraints.

Message 6 of 9
rosskirby

Did you try deleting that particular instance and re-creating it?  Sometimes when reloading a family into a project, if you accidentally choose to not override the parameters, then try and re-load it again and overwrite the parameters, things don't always go as planned.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 9
ryanpkremer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

When I originally loaded the family I did overide the parameters of those placed in the project.

The suggested method of drawing a line in the family, deleting it and then reloading did not solve the problem.

The only thing that works is to delete the instances and place new instances (which is going to be a pain due to the number of them).  The new components DO display correctly.  

I still wonder why the already placed instances would not update?  I wonder if it's because there are instance parameters for dimensions in the family and none of the placed instances match the dimensions of the actual family file?  I have however clicked to override parameters during a reload on several attempts...

I guess I'll just delete them all and replace them with new instances.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Message 8 of 9
ryanpkremer
in reply to: rosskirby

Ross,

I did choose to override the parameters - however deleting the instances and placing new ones, did the trick. 

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
rosskirby

Glad that worked for you.  In the future, if there are a bunch of instances you want to replace, select one, right-click and choose Select All --> In Entire Project, type Ctrl-X (for cut).  Then, in the modify tab, go to the Paste button and click the drop down, and select Paste in Same Place.  That would essentially "re-create" all the instances of the family.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report