Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Family - Room Bounding Propoerties

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Foggo
10996 Views, 15 Replies

Generic Family - Room Bounding Propoerties

I would like to add a "Room Bounding" Parameter / Constraint to a Generic Family I have already created

I have successfully created a Shear wall Family for the core of a building I am modeling.

I've stacked one on top of another and linked it as a project file with a Global "Room Bounding" checked into the main Project File 

Geometrically it all works perfectly and even looks right with a concrete fill linestyle. But sadly the instance doesn't appear to realise that it is meant to act like a wall when it comes to adding rooms!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
loboarch
in reply to: Foggo

Generic families can't be room bounding.  What you could do is create a room seperation line and then aling and lock that to your generic family.  This would make it act like it is room bounding.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 16
desislavabocheva
in reply to: Foggo

I have tried something and it worked for me. If it is not a problem to change the category of the generic model family, you can make it a WALL, or Column from the "Family Category and Properties" box and reload it into the project. My case was, that I had a "hand-made" chimney, which was generic model extrusion in Mechanical Equipment category. So I turned it to "Column" category, which is room bounding.

Message 4 of 16
Sahay_R
in reply to: desislavabocheva

@Foggo @loboarch - I know this is an old thread.... but here goes.

Architecture>>Component>>Model in place

When prompted, pick a Room Bounding category (Walls or Columns - I prefer Walls)

Insert>>Load Family

Load and insert the desired family. Select it - make it into a Group.

File>>Saveas>>Library>>Group

Save the Group that you just created out as a family.

Now you can edit the desired family, and associate parameters to allow desired control. And yes, this will be Room Bounding, among other things.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 5 of 16
ToanDN
in reply to: Sahay_R

Or you can create a family using Column template.
Message 6 of 16
Sahay_R
in reply to: ToanDN

Very true, @ToanDN. Just be careful that the instances are hosted to the level - otherwise the room won't recognize them.....as a matter of fact, just switching the family category around is also an option.....

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 7 of 16
pieter5

Wow... I knew about this workaround to convert inplace families to regular families but I had no idea it would allow you to create component families for the forbidden categories! Thanks for sharing.

Message 8 of 16
Nisreenki

@Sahay_R  Hello, i know this is an old thread but i am facing the same problem and just saw this work around! when i choose to save as the group the file extension displayed is .rvt so it is saving the group as a project and not as a family, is there another way to save the group as a family ? i am using rvt 2018

Message 9 of 16
Sahay_R
in reply to: Nisreenki

Make sure that you are in Edit In Place. Then select the geometry and make it into a group - and save it out to the RFA.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 10 of 16
Nisreenki

@Sahay_R  Thank you so much! it worked like magic

I turned the family I want into wall family and got it as room bounding, but there's another solid in the family with visibility settings in one type (the family contains more than one type) that is affecting the room's area calculation, is there a certain setting that I can turn on/off so the solid won't affect the room's boundary or i should just separate the different types?

I attached a small sample 

Message 11 of 16
Sahay_R

Separate families is one way out. Or else you can use an if/then statement, where if visibility is yes, then value of area will be area1, if no, it will be area2

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 12 of 16
ToanDN

You could just create a Column Family and set it as Room Boundary. Yes you can model it in any shapes and sizes, not necessary a column.
Message 13 of 16
dm0144
in reply to: loboarch

@loboarch I tried that and it didn't work form me.

Message 14 of 16
RDAOU
in reply to: dm0144

Select room separators + family and create group 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 15 of 16
Mark_Engwirda

Hi Sahay-R, this is an excellent solution!
I don't know why Autodesk doesn't implement a room bounding option for Revit families such as generic, casement etc.
Maybe this should be on the ideas board?

Message 16 of 16

AWE SOME!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report