Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gaming graphics card or workstation graphics card?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
actu
1985 Views, 1 Reply

gaming graphics card or workstation graphics card?

hello im getting my dad a new laptop for his birthday for his use as an architect.  he will be using revit 2015 and what im wondering is what kind of graphics card i should get in a  laptop.  i know ill want 16gb ram and an i7CPU,  ive picked the i7-4710HQ 16gb ram and a 256gbSSD with 1 TB HDD

im either going to get a gtx 980m or a 970m. also will more vram be a huge bonus because i can get a 6gb or 8gb versions of these cards

im basically wondering how will these perform the cpu ram ssd/hdd and cards combined.  i dont know much about workstation cards but if they are alot better than i guess i will have no choice.

basically im asking will a gtx 970m be good enough and if not that will a gtx 980m work.  maybe a gtx970m SLI?

thanks for the help

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
L.Maas
in reply to: actu

Personally I would not focus too much on the graphics card...or your father must be into gaming.

Revit tends to rely more on the CPU (and memory) than the graphics card. The workstation/certified cards are more a guarantuee that Revit will run. Normally an average (gaming)graphics card will do just fine.

If I had to spend my budget I would focus more on processor, memory and SSD than the graphics card.

I had Revit running on a I5 processor, 16gb, GTX 660 , win 8.1 pro just fine.

Look at THIS thread on antoher forum abotu graphics cards for revit fort more info.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report