Revit Architecture

tdraper
Message 1 of 2 (900 Views)

gable roof rake

900 Views, 1 Replies
02-16-2010 12:29 PM
I'm struggling with creating a rake on gable roofs. Most gable roofs have a thinner rake detail than the actual roof structure - is there a simple way to model this?
I have tried modeling the rake portion separately from the main roof. However, I have been unable to join the two roofs.
Contributor
andido
Message 2 of 2 (846 Views)

Re: gable roof rake

02-14-2011 09:20 AM in reply to: tdraper

I too would like help on adding the rakes to gable ends.  I've done it a couple ways and keep thinking I'm definitely not seeing the better ways.

The first way...(and the gurus will think: how stupid is this guy??? But deadlines make one desparate) :Main roof by footprint/no overhang then an extruded roof with the desired cornice return off the end.  I sketched the rake to leave a 1/4" shingle layer and did an in-place model for the shingles.  I did this because I could not dedicate the top surface of the rake to shingles without the whole in-place model becoming  shingled.  Of course, there's a lot of line work required in  the 3D and elevations. 

The second way...left the main roof overhang at the gable and used a void extrusion to create the rake thickness.  I fought hard with this to get it to render. Seemed quirky but it was quicker.  I suppose if you do it right you can have the roof overhang just beyond the wall face and the void stop short to give you a below rake trim piece.

Best regards,

Revit Arch 2011

-Andy

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.