Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gable roof rake

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tdraper
3232 Views, 4 Replies

gable roof rake

I'm struggling with creating a rake on gable roofs. Most gable roofs have a thinner rake detail than the actual roof structure - is there a simple way to model this?
I have tried modeling the rake portion separately from the main roof. However, I have been unable to join the two roofs.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: tdraper

I too would like help on adding the rakes to gable ends.  I've done it a couple ways and keep thinking I'm definitely not seeing the better ways.

The first way...(and the gurus will think: how stupid is this guy??? But deadlines make one desparate) :Main roof by footprint/no overhang then an extruded roof with the desired cornice return off the end.  I sketched the rake to leave a 1/4" shingle layer and did an in-place model for the shingles.  I did this because I could not dedicate the top surface of the rake to shingles without the whole in-place model becoming  shingled.  Of course, there's a lot of line work required in  the 3D and elevations. 

The second way...left the main roof overhang at the gable and used a void extrusion to create the rake thickness.  I fought hard with this to get it to render. Seemed quirky but it was quicker.  I suppose if you do it right you can have the roof overhang just beyond the wall face and the void stop short to give you a below rake trim piece.

Best regards,

Revit Arch 2011

-Andy

Message 3 of 5
adamschaffer

Try adding a fascia board (or any profile you desire) to the bottom edge of the roof, then offset it back to the gable wall. It follows the roof line, It worked well for me.

SB-1 Gable.jpg

Message 4 of 5
barthbradley

@tdraper wrote:
I'm struggling with creating a rake on gable roofs. Most gable roofs have a thinner rake detail than the actual roof structure - is there a simple way to model this?
I have tried modeling the rake portion separately from the main roof. However, I have been unable to join the two roofs.

Keep the “I” in BIM: model it in Revit just like it will be constructed in the field: as a separate roof joined to the main roof.  That’s the way we do it (Light Frame/Residential), and we have no problem joining the geometries together for a seamless look – but they got to line up properly to do so (and, of course, share common materials). Have you tried the Roof by Extrusion method? That might be easier for you at gable ends.

Message 5 of 5

There should be a Rake tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report