Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gable end soffit

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Jleibold
6001 Views, 11 Replies

Gable end soffit

Hello All,

I am stuck (novice) as to what I need to fill in this gap on a gable end side of where the soffit comes down to the roof eave on the pitched side of the roof.

Obviously in training they didn't show us how to accomplish this, so I would much appreciate on the talents & tips within this forum to point me in the correct direction.

See attached..

Thanks,

Jeff

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbcarch
in reply to: Jleibold

You can---

Use a Ceiling, and specify slope with Slope Arrows, give it a Material ( such as metal perforated vent, etc. )

Use a Roof by Extrusion--draw sketch lines at the gable end, specify depth of roof equal to the overhang. Specify Material, etc.

Create a separate Compund Roof, that contains the soffit material at the bottom side--and place it where the "main roof" stops at the wall plane--then use Join Geometry to join the main roof and the "overhang roof".

There may be another way with the roof tools using a special Fascia etc. as well.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 12
Jleibold
in reply to: cbcarch

cbcarch,

Thank you for the input.  Would/could you take the time to show me the end results for the three options you gave?  Screen shots or RVT would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 4 of 12
Jleibold

To all;

All weekend I've tried to figure this out, without any luck.  I get the soffit, but the thickness protrudes above the roof when I need the thickness to cover the opening by changing the soffit thickenss.  I am not able (per my level of knowledge) to make a trapizoid to fit in the profile of the slope of the angle, dimension of the fascia, depth of the soffit, dimension at the wall.  I know how to do this in Acad Architecture, but in revit it is driving me insane.  I don't get it.....

Frustrated....

Jeff

Message 5 of 12
alex60

Hi Jeff, I usually use a copy of the main roof and then change it to other with the materials and definitions of the soffit you will use. Place it at the right position a then edit the boundary creating  contourn lines around the exterior walls to define the soffit edge. See the attached image.

I hope you solve your problem. thanks, Alex

Message 6 of 12
Jleibold
in reply to: alex60

Alex,

Thanks for the input & jpg.  Ok, if I want the soffit to be parallel (to the ground, floor) instead of perpendicular to the roof & to fill in that void at the gable end sides, how would one go about doing that?  See attached for clarity...

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 7 of 12
alex60

Hi Jeff, in that particular case, the Soffit Tool in Revit is ease to use, because the flat soffit is very well done there,see the attached image, but you  could also use the same roof without slope in any edge and make the same procedure. The cover at the end of the gable end most be done will a wall with the same materials than the soffit and modify the profile to the shape of the soffit end or make a generic element to make the cover.

I hope you solve this problem. Alex

Message 8 of 12
Jleibold
in reply to: alex60

Alex,

I think that I made this work per your last post.  I made a wall, moved it as needed to that void area at the gable end.  I then modified the profile, then the material for that new wall.  With some fine tuning I think I can make this work & still look correctly.

Thank you very much!

Jeff

Message 9 of 12

A wall is I thing the easiest way to do it or what you could do also is the following

Create a Mass element and then use Model by face---roof or you could use the Paint Feature to apply it on the mass element

Here is a video with sounds

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/a57b5065-4132-4b0a-b683-320593585428

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 10 of 12
VWD-MLM
in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Jeff, attached is what "I Think" you were asking for............if it is, let me know and I'll upload a sample roof for you to look at.......be advised, this was Created in 2014 version.

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 11 of 12

Alaaeldin_Alash,

Thank you for the video showing how to do this, it really helped.

Jeff

Message 12 of 12
Jleibold
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Mike,

Thanks for the attachment, it really helped...

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report