Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fundamental flaw or misunderstanding?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
kwg06516
307 Views, 2 Replies

Fundamental flaw or misunderstanding?

I've gotten to the point in a project where I have to consider wall bases and I want to do something more advanced than tacking on a model line and a leader saying "here be wallbase".

The Revit method of modelling wallbases is by profile associated with a wall.  But this means that the wall base types are now assigned to the walls.  Traditionally they are assigned to rooms.  Imagine a VP's office next to an admin.  The VP gets a wooden base, chair rail and fypon cove, whereas the admin gets vinyl base, no chair rail and no cove.  The wall between them is the same dumb unrated gypboard on stud wall as between the coat closet and the janitor.  Does this mean I have to create a wall type specifically for separating a room with a wood base and a room with a vinyl base?  Will I need even more walls if they want more than one color of vinyl base?  And how does this even get back to a schedule or a material takeoff, two things I've yet to tackle on this bumpy learning curve?

Or am I completely missing something here?

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MKEllis
in reply to: kwg06516

You could model the main partition as one wall type - the structural stud core and plasterboard, then create a new separate wall for just the low level lining (setting the base and top levels to suit - including any rails as a sweep). That way you can use whatever wall lining is appropriate for any given room, at whatever height etc.

You will still have to place them separately, and use align / lock to have these new walls locked to the main ones.

As for colours, you can use 'paint' to apply a material finish to the surfaces. I use those for assigigning say different vinyl floor covering types / colours. I think you can even sub-divide the surface to apply more than one painted material too [Link to a tutorial]

Martin

Message 3 of 3
kwg06516
in reply to: MKEllis

That kills two birds with one stone, because I don't want to see a vinyl wall base profile in my plan views, either.  If I need to do something like a wood base or chair rail that needs to be seen in a rendering I'll just make a linear wall based family for that because won't the second air wall with profiles lead to all kinds of issues with inserts and overlaps?

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report