Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
davidwilliamedwards
Message 1 of 4 (177 Views)

Full Paths Saved Even When Set to "Relative"

177 Views, 3 Replies
06-17-2013 12:29 PM

When inserting CAD files or Revit Projects into our Project File (both stored on the network), I'm getting the full path (including the drive letter and every subdirectory) as the Saved Path even when the links are set to Relative. Whenever we archive or move the project it's still looking for links in the old locations as if they were pathed Absolute. 

What gives? Is there a method of inserting files which avoids this or some other settings?

David William Edwards
Senior Architectural Designer / BIM Manager
Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc.
Active Contributor
brettgatti
Message 2 of 4 (172 Views)

Re: Full Paths Saved Even When Set to "Relative"

06-17-2013 12:42 PM in reply to: davidwilliamedwards

How deep are your file paths?  I've seen this happen when the paths get too long for Revit or AutoCAD to resolve using Relative.

Valued Contributor
davidwilliamedwards
Message 3 of 4 (169 Views)

06-17-2013 12:45 PM in reply to: brettgatti

"P:\2011-011.des\A"

I've tested even reloading from C:\temp - full path is still stored...

David William Edwards

David William Edwards
Valued Contributor
davidwilliamedwards
Message 4 of 4 (159 Views)

06-17-2013 01:29 PM in reply to: brettgatti

It appears to be an issue with Worksets. In a test file with no Worksets, an Inserted DWG contains just the filename as the Saved Path. If you "upgrade" the file to Worksets, an inserted DWG has the fullpath name saved. I thought at first this was because of using the local file and that the path from C: to the server drive letter was not "relative." But it appears to save the fullpath name whenever Worksets are used.

David William Edwards
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.