Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Revit to OBJ Converter

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
CliveBroadhurst4576
33569 Views, 18 Replies

Free Revit to OBJ Converter

I wanted to export direct to 3D rendering programs so created this Revit to OBJ converter. It is based on the Revit 2014 API new export code so only works with Revit 2014.

Materials are exported with colour and transparency and I've added the option to create a material texture file xml list to export textures. It is currently not possible to get this information from the Revit API.

It's been tested with Blender, Octane Render and 3ds Max Design 2014.

If anyone wants it - look on http:\\www.inglegreen.com

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

hi

For export Revit file to 3d max FBX format is the best choice in my opinion.

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 19

Absolutely, but several of the rendering softwares use OBJ as their (only) input format. If 3ds Max isn't available or is too intimidating for converting on to OBJ then my Addin may be useful ...

Message 4 of 19

There is a new version 1.3 of the Revit to OBJ Converter.

I have provided the choice to export by Revit ID (grouped meshes) or as previously by individual meshes.

Message 5 of 19
jford
in reply to: CliveBroadhurst4576

Thanks for this converter.  I just tried the current version for Revit 2015.  The OBJ output worked well in Metaio Creator (augmented reality app). 

Message 6 of 19
CliveBroadhurst4576
in reply to: jford

Thanks for the feedback. I am pleased the converter is proving useful ...

The latest version includes the option to export just the elements that have been selected. This makes it easy to add newly created Revit elements or to replace elements that have been updated in Revit.

Message 7 of 19

Hello Clive,
I used your exporter to move Revit files to Unity. They work beautifully! One issue that I have had is that the model comes as a single piece in Unity. Upon searching further I realized that in order to separate the model into pieces, I needed to open the obj file in a text editor and change the geometry tag ( I call it tag because I am not sure what it should be called ) from " o " to " g ".

While I love the plug-in so much, I wanted to ask you if you can provide any information on how the plug-in was actually developed. If you do not mind I would like to email you for further discussion. I tried to import your .dll into DynamoBIM as a "Zero Touch Import Library" but did not know how to connect the logic, or if the functions needed to export an .obj model from Dynamo was possible using your .dll as some of the functions might be private. Again, if it is ok, I would like to email you to explain further what I need the obj exporter for, please let me know.

Again thank you for the wonderful job!!!! Fantastic work!

Best,
Jawad Altabtabai
Message 8 of 19

Hi Jawad

This is a Visual C# plugin.

I have uploaded v1.8.2 to my site that adds the options to use either 'o' or 'g' for the Object definition.

I realise Unity makes things a little more complicated. By all means drop me an email with your ideas ...

Message 9 of 19

As there are now many settings for the plugin - a new version 1.8.3 saves settings to an XML file stored with the plugin. Let me know if there are any problems with this ...

Message 10 of 19

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask how to setup the Revit OBJ export? I tried to follow the instructions given from the downloable installation but it does not appear in Revit Add In portion. Kindly advise and thanks

nstall RevitOBJExport.addin and RevitOBJExport.dll to the Revit Addins directory.

Example directory paths are :-

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2015\

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2015\

either location will be ok ...

Regards

Message 11 of 19

Hi

Ideas :-

1. You may need to select 'show hidden files, folders and drives' in the Windows Explorer 'Folder 'View' Options' in order to see the correct directory.

2. Scan for the directories that include in their name - 'Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2015' or if you have Revit 2014 - 'Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2014' to find a valid location.

Regards

Clive

Message 12 of 19

Thanks Clive

Message 13 of 19

I get

"Revit cannot run the external application 'RevitOBJExport2". Contact the provider for assistance. Information they provided to Revit about their identity: Inglegreen.com-Tech-22"

in both 2016 and 2017.  

Thanks! 

Message 14 of 19
Davidmoneda
in reply to: tony9502

Hi Tony,

Yoy may need to unblock the .addin and .dll on the properties. Do that on both files and it should be ok.

OBJ.jpg

Message 15 of 19
jordanmarr
in reply to: Davidmoneda

I also got an error message when trying to run the 2017 version (and I did "Unblock" the .dll after downloading).

That docs specify that it was compiled using .net 4.5.2, but it should be compiled using 4.6.

Message 16 of 19
grigor
in reply to: jordanmarr

you can use  free ArtisGL Exporter add-on 

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=2282307907884501673&appLang=en&os=Win64

It allows to export any Revit project to obj, but also export your project to ArtisGL 3D Publisher and publish project to the web by using WebGL technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udeG4O1vUW8&t=150s

Message 17 of 19

Can you pls share the plug-in tool for 2014 with me?

I visited the website you provide and I can not find it anymore.

Thanks

Message 18 of 19
syman2000
in reply to: SamLi1968

If you have 3ds max, you can import Revit model in there and then export it as OBJ. I avoid plugin because as soon as there is new version, it won't be supported or it is no longer exist.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 19 of 19
grigor
in reply to: SamLi1968

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report