Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formwork for Column and Beam

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
BIMAbhi
18503 Views, 16 Replies

Formwork for Column and Beam

How can we calculate the formwork of column & beam? Is it possible to add "Height" parameter in Column. Because we add formula into the Family file as below:

Perimeter = (2*Depth+2*Width)

Formwork Area = Perimeter*Height

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: BIMAbhi

A simpler solution is to edit the column family, painting its vertical faces with a custom material, such as "Formwork". Imagine a square column of 1' x 1' x 10'. A material take-off schedule will report 40 SF of "formwork" (the sum of the areas of the vertical faces, 1' x 10' x 4) and 2 SF of "concrete" (the sum of the areas of the top and bottom faces of the column, 1' x 1' x 2). This will not affect the volume of concrete, which will continue to report 1' x 1' x 10' = 10 CF.

formwork_area.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 17
BIMAbhi

Can you please send us the family and the project file so that we can understand the same.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 4 of 17
Alfredo_Medina

I think that my previous post provides enough illustration on the topic.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 17
BIMAbhi

Thanks for your quick reply. I want the file from you so that we will compare with our files. We have attached the files so that everyone will be benifitted. Smiley Happy

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 6 of 17
Alfredo_Medina

Sometimes I do quick tests to provide solutions, and many times I don't save those files, unless it is something that I want to keep for future reference, but in this case, I did not think that it was necessary to save the file, so I provided an explanation, and an illustration of the schedule, and I did not save the file. Now I would have to spend time doing it again just to post it.  It's a simple structural colum square family, painted as described in my previous post. Is this family of yours painted as described in that post? Did you insert it in a project, and did you create a schedule?

Message 7 of 17
BIMAbhi

Thanks for your quick update. We have posted the family and the project in the zip file. We have also created the schedule after loading the family into the project. Is it correct or we are in wrong direction please suggest us.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 8 of 17
Alfredo_Medina

Your zip file contains a family only, no project. But I inserted it in a project, made a schedule, and it reports the areas as in my previous post above. Maybe the family should be structural column, not just column (architectural). You can save some time but not painting the top and bottom, since that is going to be ignored for formwork anyway.

Message 9 of 17
BIMAbhi

Sorry I missed out the project file. We have attached now.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 10 of 17
Alfredo_Medina

Your formwork is reporting 160 sf, which is correct. 2' x 20' x 4.

Maybe you don't need to paint and schedule the "no-formwork" faces, but that's up to you.

Message 11 of 17
BIMAbhi

Thanks for your review and reply.Smiley Happy

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

Is the method of calculating perimeter =2*D+2*H same for both column and beams. what about slab.!!

Message 13 of 17
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't think that's a Revit specific question. It's just a geometry question.

The method of calculating perimeter depends on the shape of the object. 2D+2H works on square/rectangular profiles. It obviously wouldn't work for a circular, tee, trapazoidal, hexigonal or any other complex profile.

xtn

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks very much
But after the calculation, the intersection of columns and beams is doubled
Can you show me?

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

try SOFiSTiK its free

Kevin

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Please help me how to use, tks

Message 17 of 17

We have to also consider that beams rest on column so now we have to exclude the beam face also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report