Revit Architecture

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 1 of 18 (588 Views)
Accepted Solution

Following Site Contours

588 Views, 17 Replies
03-09-2011 11:12 AM

So... I am working on a site plan and puttin in curbs... I want them to follow the contous of the site - I know there is a way but i can't think of it... How do i do this.

Thanks -

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com

Its not hard at all IMHO

Watch this class I taught at AU in 2013. It will explain the basis of how to make any hardscape follow any site topo..

If you have questions please post them here and I will explain further.

topofollow.png

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 18 (572 Views)

Re: Following Site Contours

03-09-2011 02:45 PM in reply to: LisaDrago

The only way I know is this: create profiles, load them into project. Create model lines that follow the edge that you want to convert into a curb (because you can't use "pick lines" on the site), then use "pick path" > "pick 3d edges" and select the model lines that you created, finish the path, select profile, pick a profile from the list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Distinguished Contributor
OZRevit
Message 3 of 18 (564 Views)

03-09-2011 03:26 PM in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi,

This link will get you started on editting the .pat files. You'll also find a video explaining the process.

Hope this helps.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 18 (559 Views)

03-09-2011 03:36 PM in reply to: OZRevit

Oops, it seems that you posted in the wrong thread? Surface patterns?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Distinguished Contributor
OZRevit
Message 5 of 18 (553 Views)

03-09-2011 03:40 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Sorry...wrong post.

I responded to the right one !

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 6 of 18 (512 Views)

03-10-2011 05:02 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

Okay Maybe i am missing something or it is just too early to think Alfredo - but i am having trouble getting in the model line to follow the contours... Any thoughts?

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 7 of 18 (498 Views)

03-10-2011 09:50 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

As I said in my previous reply, "pick lines" does not work with contours, you have to create model lines on top of them, without the help of pick lines, unfortunately.

Valued Contributor
derrickmoore
Message 8 of 18 (490 Views)

03-10-2011 11:52 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

I made the roadway in plan first, then edited the sub elements to roughly follow the countours, then added a sweep blend with the curb profile. Unfortunately it's a PITA and sometimes wouldn't let me create the sweep, leaving gaps in the curb.

This is my first job where I tried to model the site, if anyone has a more humane way of doing this i'm all ears.

Active Contributor tbh
Active Contributor
tbh
Message 9 of 18 (292 Views)

04-25-2013 11:46 AM in reply to: LisaDrago
Unfortunately this is a PAINFULLY time consuming and (IMO an embarrassment for Autodesk) process. I can't believe that a software as powerful as Revit still lacks basic site tools beyond creating topo. I'm not asking for much but a tool to create a road or curb that follows the surface shouldn't be that hard. I find it hard to believe with the resources that Autodesk has that they can't devote something towards developing some tools.

My suggestion, if you can afford it, would be to look at eagle point.

Otherwise, you might try using an adaptive family. I looked at this recently and I thought it may be possible to create a family that would allow you to adjust the elevation as you enter each point
Mentor
octavio2
Message 10 of 18 (217 Views)

02-15-2014 03:22 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

Had this issue of curbs following the contours been resolved Lisa? That is, in the newer versions?

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.