Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floor material align

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
alberto.salas89
4184 Views, 9 Replies

Floor material align

Hello, I've being in trouble when trying to align a material. It appears in angle on the floor. I need help to solve it thanks.

as shown in the picture, in the realistic view and render version the wood appear in angle.

pt.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
enslinj
in reply to: alberto.salas89

Hi There,

The best way to approach this is to apply a surface pattern to the material. (See attachment) The surface pattern you apply must be a MODEL pattern.

Set graphics style to Hidden or shaded temporarily. You will now see the hatch pattern as applied in step 1.

You will notice your hatch pattern running at the same angle as your realistic texture. Still in hidden or shaded view, Tab select the pattern line & click rotate. Rotate the surface pattern to run as desired, when you set your view to realistic or go to your realistic 3D view you will notice the texture map is rotated at the same angle as the surface pattern.

Ps. Also note the texture alignment tool under the graphic tab in the material editor. The great thing about this tool is you can apply surface patterns to make sure you happy with scale & orientation of you material finishes. You select a jpeg texture for your realistic views & click the texture alignment button. It will overlay the surface pattern on your jpeg texture & you can ensure you realistic textures match your surface pattern. Really great for tiling & decking.

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 10
clintondaniels
in reply to: enslinj

Hi. I have the same issue with my floor material alignment. I can realign it using the model pattern method below, however when you remove the model pattern the floor material goes back to the way it was. I don't want to keep the model pattern showing and it seems silly to have to hide it. 

Message 4 of 10

@clintondaniels Follow the steps above, or your question might be about how to use materials in a more general way. You can start your own question topic with your question there if you're having trouble with it. I got the impression your question is somewhat different...

edit: misread the question, you could apply a view filter for the floors to override the material setting I think. Will have a closer look at it.

edit2: Just tried and you could also apply a solid fill after rotating the pattern (add custom pattern without import if it's not there), you are correct that (re)setting it to none resets it to default. Didn't know that aswell, thanks.

Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the reply and yes, I have done those work arounds and it is OK. However I hate doing the work arounds and would rather know why it does it in the first place? Is there any reason the default orientation of the texture/material is on an angle? 

Message 6 of 10
_Vijay
in reply to: clintondaniels

try to use model pattern instead of detail one. then you can align and rotate the paten as per your need.

Message 7 of 10

The default direction/rotation is set in the material. But it is really a 'missing' feature, UVW mapping. 'Missing' because Revit is not primarily a rendering software such as 3dsmax (however has become more adapt to it). There are some idea topics on the matter if you do a search, see below link:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/uv-manipulation-for-rendering-amp-game-engine-exporting/i...

Material settings - direction/rotationMaterial settings - direction/rotation

Message 8 of 10
timpy6
in reply to: clintondaniels

You might need to start with the big picture questions. Do you work in a work shared environment where another user could have created this texture at an angle? Was this material started from duplicating an existing material that had an angle texture setting? 

I’ve never seen materials that are at an angle by default unless they are created purposely as an angled pattern. Look at the rotation angle setting of the texture in the texture editor within the material editor. Is that set to a rotation?

I don’t know whether other unusual circumstances could be at play such as the floor itself having angled “parts” or angled model patterns unknowingly applied in the Type editor Structure edit or in the Object Styles by floor category editor. 

I usually just setup my texture rotation there in the texture editor. I don’t rotate the whole pattern or material. If the wood floor direction is north-south and I need east-west then I duplicate the material and add the 90 degree rotation to the texture itself and label the material accordingly as 90 rotation.

Once it’s set you can duplicate that material and use that as a starting point for any similar materials. If you create a texture rotation in a material then name the material Wood Floor 45 Angle, or Wood Floor 90 Rotation or something descriptive for the next usage. 

Message 9 of 10

Thank you. Your post helped me fixed my issue 🙂

Message 10 of 10

Alternatively, you could also use Parts functionality to literally draw the floor boards and override the parts using a similar material without a surface pattern, depending on what your needs are ofcourse.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report