Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Roofs and Parapets and Interior Soffits in Residential Projects

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
7353 Views, 13 Replies

Flat Roofs and Parapets and Interior Soffits in Residential Projects

Has anyone created a residential project in Revit with flat roofs or parapets? We're working on a modern house and the program will not seem to allow us to create a flat roof or a parapet condition. Has Revit missed allowing this option in residential projects?

We also have a similar problem when drawing interiors. We cannot figure out a way to draw a soffit condition within the building. Has anyone found a way to draw a soffit in the Ceiling commands? We have lots of conditions with floating planes of ceilings cantilevering from walls on the inside of our design that need to be rendered.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

When creating a roof you will see a symbol on the
edge you are sketching.  This little symbol indicates if that edge is
sloping or not.  To make a flat roof you define the sketch so no edges are
sloping.  This will result in a flat roof.  To toggle if an edge
is sloping or not use the check box in the options bar.  See attached image
for more info.

As for a soffit condition you can create a ceiling
by sketching rather than using walls to lay out the ceiling.  this will
allow you to create a floating ceiling condition like you are
describing.

--
Jeff Hanson
SME (Subject Matter Expert)
Autodesk - BIM
UX
Manchester, NH

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Has
anyone created a residential project in Revit with flat roofs or parapets?
We're working on a modern house and the program will not seem to allow us to
create a flat roof or a parapet condition. Has Revit missed allowing this
option in residential projects? We also have a similar problem when drawing
interiors. We cannot figure out a way to draw a soffit condition within the
building. Has anyone found a way to draw a soffit in the Ceiling commands? We
have lots of conditions with floating planes of ceilings cantilevering from
walls on the inside of our design that need to be rendered.
Thanks!
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Extend the exterior walls above the roof level to
create your parapet and sweeps if you need to build out. Use a gyp. bd.
wall to creat your soffits set base at the height of the ceiling and have it
extend to where ever you need it.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Has
anyone created a residential project in Revit with flat roofs or parapets?
We're working on a modern house and the program will not seem to allow us to
create a flat roof or a parapet condition. Has Revit missed allowing this
option in residential projects? We also have a similar problem when drawing
interiors. We cannot figure out a way to draw a soffit condition within the
building. Has anyone found a way to draw a soffit in the Ceiling commands? We
have lots of conditions with floating planes of ceilings cantilevering from
walls on the inside of our design that need to be rendered.
Thanks!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

We see the symbols and have been able to create the flat roof, the issue seems to be creating parapets. (Sorry I am posting questions from another Revit user in the office and just got clarification.) In order to create the roof and define its slope, you need to select the outside face of the exterior walls. So the flat roof extends to this outside face of the wall. What this creates in elevations and the 3D drawing is a line showing the thickness of the flat roof. We don't want to see this roof thickness rendered. And we also have conditions where the exterior walls are taller than the roof itself. How do you render the walls as being taller (parapet conditions) with a roof that has a minimal slope?

Thanks!
Message 5 of 14
CADdaddy.com

I am trying to draw a clean GWB soffit. (GWB wall and GWB ceiling). Is there any way to hide the joint line between the ceiling and wall? No matter what I do I always see the joint line in the elevation or the RCP (depending on how I went about creating the soffit). I wasn't able to "join" the soffit wall to the soffit ceiling.

Thanks....

Jamey
Message 6 of 14
limezestpizzawithextracheese

Hey,

I have a problem with attaching the parapet wall to my single sloped (one way) flat roof. How can i put 900 mm parapet wall on a single sloped roof ?
Deniz
Message 7 of 14

I am a Revit amateur my challenges is how to great a parapet on my building, please I will Appreciate if you can help me.

Message 8 of 14
Sahay_R
in reply to: namdonnigltd

Create a floor plan referencing the Roof level

Views>>Plan Views>>Floor Plan

Go to that view. Use a regular wall but keep the height lower. You should be OK.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 9 of 14

If you just need it to represent a parapet there are some other option.

You could create a Wall Sweep (found under Architecture tab>walls>wall sweep) Create a section profile in the shape of your parapet and apply it to the walls which need the parapet.

Another way to do this is to create a model in place an element which can be swept along the top of the wall to create your parapet.

These will not show up well if you need to detail these items, in that instance I would recommend doing what the users above posted. You will need actual walls with internal components if they will be sectioned or detailed.
Message 10 of 14
namdonnigltd.2030
in reply to: Sahay_R

Thank you so much for your replied. Like I have said earlier I am a Revit amateur please I will be please, If you tell me how to furnish my interior design

Message 11 of 14
Sahay_R
in reply to: namdonnigltd.2030

Are you talking about adding furniture to your building? In that case, you can add furniture from the Furniture Library. To add - 

Insert>>Load Family

Once the family is loaded, go to 

Architecture>>Component 

to drop it in

If the OOTB library does not have the kind of furniture that you need, then go to the BIMObjects website. You will be able to find manufacturer content from there.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 12 of 14
namdonnigltd.2030
in reply to: Sahay_R

Thank you once again. How can I create a cotton wall?

Message 13 of 14
chrisplyler

@Anonymous wrote:
In order to create the roof and define its slope, you need to select the outside face of the exterior walls. So the flat roof extends to this outside face of the wall. What this creates in elevations and the 3D drawing is a line showing the thickness of the flat roof. We don't want to see this roof thickness rendered. And we also have conditions where the exterior walls are taller than the roof itself. How do you render the walls as being taller (parapet conditions) with a roof that has a minimal slope?

Thanks!

1. No, no, you don't need to select exterior faces of walls in order to create a roof. Not at all. You can create a roof without any other elements existing in the model at all. You pick a LEVEL to associate the roof with (which is done by default if you draw the roof in a floor plan view, because the floor plan view is associated with a level already) and then you sketch it's footprint. Now you CAN sketch it by selecting walls, but you can also use any of the drawing tools available. So you can define the edge of the roof along exterior wall face, along interior wall faces, or wherever you want.

2. Walls have a couple of important parameters call Top Constraint and Top Offset. The Top Constraint usually defaults to the next higher Level, and the Top Offset defaults to 0'-0". If you have walls up to Level 2, and you built your roof on Level 2 also, then give the walls a value in the Top Offset parameter to raise the tops of them up higher then the edge of the roof.

3. If your Revit guy doesn't understand these very basic concepts yet, send him to a beginner class, or at least have him spend thirty minutes watching youtube videos.

Message 14 of 14
Sahay_R
in reply to: namdonnigltd.2030

Create a wall

Architecture>>Wall

Go to a 3D view

Architecture>>Curtain Grid

This will allow you to set up a grid. Then

Architecture>>Mullion

This will allow you to assign mullions to the curtain wall

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report