Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filled Region

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
tonkata
19660 Views, 12 Replies

Filled Region

Is it not possible to send a Filled Region to back?

filled region.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: tonkata

Hi

(first off - still relatively new to Revit so somebody else may need to verify my comment).

A filled region like the one you are using there is an annotation / drafting element - and those are more limited in the way they interact with model elements such as doors.

There is a 'Send to Back' option (with your region selected - it will appear under the MODIFY tab) - However, that will only send the fill behind other annotation/drafted elements - not the door.

AFAIK there isn't a way to get the filled region behind modelled elements like doors etc. You can tweak it (As you already have done) to make it transparent so that you at least see the door behind the fill grid - but in old CAD parlence, it is still drawn after the door.

Assuming you are trying to show floor tiles - there is another way that is also far more flexible.

If you use the floor finish itself - as part of the architectural floor - to determine the graphical look, you can use the hatch pattern that is set under the material finish that you've used (set to model). That way the tile grid will appear in all model views (including 3d). It will have the added advantages of:

You won't have to go around defining all your fill areas in each and every view

The material will be schedulable

You can also subdivide finish areas (ie introduce another floor finish in the middle of the room etc.)

It will auto-align

Provided that you use the model hatch - you can use an accurate size too to get a realistic setting out.

Of course, what you are trying to achieve may be totally different, and you may be after a view specific hatch, in which case the above probably won't help too much 🙂

Martin

Message 3 of 13
tonkata
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Martin.

I guess I was trying to avoid the whole sub dividing the slab & adding surfaces (though your 100% right in saying so).

I could have sworn filled regions worked that way back in version 2010-201. Am I wrong in saying that?
Message 4 of 13
tonkata

Maybe I'm getting confused with detail sheets and using filled regions there... :-?
Message 5 of 13
rosskirby

You can't send a filled region behind a modeled element.  You can only control the draw order for detail elements (filled regions, detail components, etc.).

As Martin said, it looks like you're trying to show the floor pattern.  The easiest way to do this is to model a separate finish floor on top of your structural floor slab, and offset it the thickness of whatever the material/construction is (so that it doesn't share a top surface plane with the structural floor).

This has several benefits:

• You can add a filter to view where you want the finish floor to be hidden so that it doesn't show up.
  • You can schedule the amount of material in the floor finish.
  • You can automatically tag the flooring finish in each room, and have it update if you change the flooring.
  • If you need any 3D views, it'll be easier to show the finishes.
Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 13
tonkata
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks Ross & Martin, I'll definitely take your advise and re-construct it the correct way 😉
Message 7 of 13
rosskirby

Glad that helped.  In general, if you follow the rule "model it how it's built", then you'll find that things tend to work a little more smoothly.

Good luck, and feel free to come back anytime you hit a roadblock, or discover something that you think others would find useful.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 13
tonkata

Will do Ross.... There is another topic I'd like to touch on, being coloured shadows. I'll start a new post on it though 😉
Message 9 of 13
rosskirby

Post away.  We'll see what we can come up with.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 10 of 13
tonkata
in reply to: rosskirby

Ross, I came across this situation today. The building above the topography is created as a simple extrusion, and needs to be shown hatched. The quickest and easiest way that comes to mind is using a filled region, but the problem I face is if I extend the fill below the topography.

How would I tackle this situation?

For now the way I avoided the fill cutting into the earth is by zooming really close in and making sure I draw my fill line just above the surface.

fill.jpg

Message 11 of 13
rosskirby

Just assign a material to the building mass (something like "Building mass - hatched") and give the material the same pattern for both surface and cut displays.  If you cut a section, you'd see the building dip below the topo, and if you had an elevation, the topo would remain uncut.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

What I did for a site plan I'm working on is the following:

- Topo surfaces do not show surface patterns (so for site plans it sucks!) - I decided to create a filled region with a custom texture.

- Then the Filled Region covers components. My solution: Edit boundaries of the filled region, to "cut" around the component. Once this is done, it will show the component.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Arturo Baselli

Message 13 of 13
jpoillucci

I had some luck in Revit 2019 - in the type properties for a solid fill region there is a toggle for "masking" as shown in the image. If this is not checked the region will not cover-up modeled elements.Capture.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report