Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
damo3
Message 1 of 13 (1,620 Views)
Accepted Solution

File Path Label - Titleblock

1620 Views, 12 Replies
04-19-2012 05:46 PM

Is there a way to get a filename label in the title block??

At the moment filepath label is used, but this path is too long for the small space we have.

I have only found 2 posts on this subject, but both are more than 5 years old.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mentor
parveen.revit
Message 2 of 13 (1,608 Views)

Re: File Path Label - Titleblock

04-20-2012 02:18 AM in reply to: damo3

though it is not a direct answer to your question to add file name in title block (drawing sheet).

But you can try and achieve very similar (and i would say better) result.

Steps to follow.

Edit title block family

edit the date label on the bottom right hand corner

Edit label, remove date stamp, add Project Name

load into project

now in your project, go to manage Tab, settings panel, project information tool and edit project name parameter.

I said it would be better than file name because using this feature you can assign project name to all sheets even if these sheets are stored in different revit files (architectural. structural, MEP) .

And you can enter file name in the proejct name parameter if you want that only.

Let us know your feedback.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 3 of 13 (1,601 Views)

04-20-2012 04:28 AM in reply to: damo3

I don't agree. Project name and File path are very different things. In my opinion, if they have the file path label already but it's too long, as they say, simply make the text of the label be justified to the right, so that the path begins at the lower right corner of the sheet, and has all the width to the left available for any length, allowing very long paths if necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
damo3
Message 4 of 13 (1,580 Views)

04-22-2012 03:25 PM in reply to: damo3

Alfredo, unfortunately due to the office titleblock, I have very limited room regardless of justification. In AutoCAD i was able to specifiy file name only and we never had any problems.

I find it both strange and frustrating Autodesk doesnt use some fundamental basics from there 30 years in AutoCAD to maybe share a few ideas across to Revit.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 5 of 13 (1,577 Views)

04-22-2012 03:33 PM in reply to: damo3

The file path is usually placed outside of the margins of the title block, either from the lower right corner, right justified, or from the lower left corner, left justified, with a small font. The whole width of the titleblock is more than enough space for a very long file path.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
damo3
Message 6 of 13 (1,571 Views)

04-22-2012 03:53 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo, I appreciate every office is different. I am not looking for a plot stamp style.

In our office using our methods, I am looking for a filename only within out titleblock which the admin staff use for reference as they already know where the drawings are in our folder tree, they only need a filename to know where the sheet came from.  

Thanks anyway.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 7 of 13 (1,567 Views)

04-22-2012 04:20 PM in reply to: damo3

I see. I read your original question again, and now I understand it better. It's a different property, that is not available: filename. Sounds like a task for custom programming (API).

damo3
Message 8 of 13 (1,564 Views)

04-22-2012 04:40 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I have actually managed to achieve what I am after by using a shared parameter. It's not automated like originally desired, but part of the project information now, so it can't be missed.

Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 9 of 13 (1,560 Views)

04-22-2012 04:45 PM in reply to: damo3

Ah, OK. As suggested in message # 2, above, by Parveen.revit.

damo3
Message 10 of 13 (1,556 Views)

04-22-2012 05:07 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Similar. The above post uses, (from what I read) an existing OTB parameter. Instead I have created a shared parameters file which we can now use as office standard and I can include all the custom shared parameters I create in our office template. I place all of these under Project Information category as mentioned above so it can all be entered as global data. Of course I'm only just starting out so this is all pretty new.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.