Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Not Saved

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
kate_vanhout
10422 Views, 6 Replies

File Not Saved

I am running Revit Architecture 2013 on Windows 7 64 bit and I am having issues with the error message "Failed to Open Document" followed by "File Not Saved" This happens not everytime I save but quite often.  And once these error messages come up and I cancel them and try saving again the second time it will save.  Any ideas on why this is happening?? Any suggestions on how to fix this issue??

oh ya and I am saving to a shared network not the harddrive on my computer. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
VWD-MLM
in reply to: kate_vanhout

Hi Kate..........are you working on/in a Workshared Model?...........if so, usually that means someone else is accessing the Central file at the same time.

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 3 of 7
kate_vanhout

No I am not using work sharing.  I am the only person working on the drawing.  I work for a small company that does small scale projects and only needs 1 person to work on a project at a time.

Message 4 of 7
palmerBE

Any luck in resolving this issue? I am having the same problem - single user working on a non-workshared file and saving to a shared network.  Sometimes it saves, and sometimes it does not.  

Most recently the file became corrupt and I am now unable to open it and/or audit it.  I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit and have plenty of space both on my hard drive and on the shared network..?  Thoughts?  

Message 5 of 7
loboarch
in reply to: palmerBE

In general it is better to save Revit files to the LOCAL drive (meaning the C: Drive of the computer) and then move them using Windows explorer to a network location if you are keeping them there for a reason. My suggestion would be to always save local and then move the file, or use a workshared file were the central file is on the server and you keep a local file on your local HD and let Revit's worksharing tools synchronize the files.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 7
palmerBE
in reply to: loboarch

thanks, and yes, that does work.  for large projects, our intent is to create a central file once we have a clear direction - its just getting there where we run into file not saving issues.  saving a single file on the network allows us to shift around the core and major spaces while still keeping the different versions on record in case we need to return to one of them later.  design options get tricky when we also need to create area plans for each option.  aside from central file issues, we have had the 'file not saved' errors when creating and editing families that are then saved on the shared network.  i'd be interested to get your thoughts on this.  

Message 7 of 7
ferreyra585

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report