Revit Architecture

Valued Mentor
IMCornish
Message 1 of 7 (503 Views)
Accepted Solution

Family Parameter, Default Elevation

503 Views, 6 Replies
04-07-2014 03:01 AM

In relation to a 'face' based family (probably others as well) what function does the 'Default Elevation' serve?  Whilst I obviously understand what the both words mean, there seems to be no relationship between any family created using one of the templates and any arbitary value assigned to the parameter.  I need to understand this when nesting such families. 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK

Hello:

This parameter is used ONLY when the family is placed. And more specifically, ONLY when placed in a plan view with the "On Vertical Face" placement option. In that case, it will place the element at this elevation with respect to the current level. So if you have it set to 4'-0" [1200], and place it in a plan view, the element would go on the vertical face (perpendicular to the view) of the wall or other surfice and if you open the elevation and look at it, it will be at 4'-0" [1200] off the level line. Keep in mind that this distance is measured from the placement level to the origin reference plane (by default the Center (Front/Back) one. 

If you place this using other placement methods, their is little effect. I have not tried to nest this parameter and link it up through a host family, so I am not sure if that works. 

Make sense? 

*Expert Elite*
Paul_F_Aubin
Message 2 of 7 (486 Views)

Re: Family Parameter, Default Elevation

04-07-2014 05:00 AM in reply to: IMCornish

Hello:

This parameter is used ONLY when the family is placed. And more specifically, ONLY when placed in a plan view with the "On Vertical Face" placement option. In that case, it will place the element at this elevation with respect to the current level. So if you have it set to 4'-0" [1200], and place it in a plan view, the element would go on the vertical face (perpendicular to the view) of the wall or other surfice and if you open the elevation and look at it, it will be at 4'-0" [1200] off the level line. Keep in mind that this distance is measured from the placement level to the origin reference plane (by default the Center (Front/Back) one. 

If you place this using other placement methods, their is little effect. I have not tried to nest this parameter and link it up through a host family, so I am not sure if that works. 

Make sense? 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

Paul F. Aubin Consulting Services
Check out my newest book: Renaissance Revit!
http://www.paulaubin.com
Revit Essentials Training at lynda.com/paulaubin
Valued Mentor
IMCornish
Message 3 of 7 (455 Views)

04-09-2014 05:23 AM in reply to: Paul_F_Aubin

Thank you Paul I think that is as good an explanation as I can expect to get.  I first learned Revit from your Mastering Revit Architecture 2009 so thank you for that also.

Just one point of clarity if you don't mind please.  In regard to inserting a face based family which has a Default Elevation of say "50mm" on any surface will the "50m" only be honoured in a plan view?  In other words placing it on the face of a wall will mean that it is directly on the wall with no gap?

Thanks again.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
*Expert Elite*
Paul_F_Aubin
Message 4 of 7 (427 Views)

04-09-2014 06:18 PM in reply to: IMCornish

Hi Andrew:

THanks for the comments. Glad to help. 

So to clarify on the elevation parameter a bit, look at the attached image. The elevation parameter ALWAYS measures realtive to the level. So it is the vertical distance from level to insertion point of the family. 

I numbered the face based elements in the image1, 2 and 3.

Item 1 - this one is placed on a sloped roof surface. Compare the items pointed to with black arrows. The properties palette and dimension in elevation are the same (a little round off on the dimension notwithstanding). 

Item 2 - This one is placed on a horizontal surface at the top of the wall. The wall is 14' tall and the elevation of this item shows 14'. However, in both items 1 and 2, the parameter on the Properties is grayed out and read-only. 

Item 3 - There are three different families that I labeled 3. They are all hosted to vertical surfaces. The one on the left has no work plane associated. The other two are associated with the wall's vertical surface. In call three cases as you can see in the inset properties palette, the elevation parameter can still be edited. So this is the major difference. If you place it using the "Place on Vertical Face" the Elevation parameter remains an editable property as opposed to a read-only value. 

Hope that clarifies. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

wspeakman
Message 5 of 7 (242 Views)

08-13-2014 05:15 AM in reply to: IMCornish

A related question:

The firm I'm working for would *really* like to be able to have a tag for the default elevation.  I'm searching around my books, and on the net, to see if it's even possible.  

Is it?  If so, how?  If not, is there a workaround?

Valued Mentor
EnlInt
Message 6 of 7 (219 Views)

08-15-2014 03:15 AM in reply to: wspeakman

In the family containing a "Default Elevation" parameter add a shared parameter, lets call it familyelevation. In the formula of "familyelevation" enter "Default Elevation" (without the ").

Create a tag with familyelevation as label.

If you place the component in a project and add the tag, it will show the value of the "Default Elevation".

Please note: The value in the tag will not change when the you move the component around (change elevation), because "Default Elevation will remain the same as it is only a type parameter.

*Expert Elite*
Paul_F_Aubin
Message 7 of 7 (201 Views)

08-15-2014 06:48 AM in reply to: EnlInt

Enllnt makes an excellent point about this approach not staying "live" as the element moves around. 

Instead of tagging the default elevation, you could consider tagging the custom "familyelevation" parameter directly. To do this, make it a "Reporting parameter" and lablel a dimension from the ground to the origin point of the family. The reporting parameter would update. However, please remember that default elevation only works when inserted on a vertical face. So if this family is inserted in some other way, the value of the reporting parameter (and thus the tag) would be somewhat less than useful. 

paul

paul

Paul F. Aubin

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!