Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family issue- rotation of nested family

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Randy_CaS
690 Views, 5 Replies

Family issue- rotation of nested family

I am looking for some fresh eyes to help with a issue I am having. This family has a nested scroll that rotates to 3 positions... 0, 90 and 180 degrees. Parameter "ScrollRotation" flexed properly untill I added a drain to the nest. The idea was to make the drain on the bottom automatically no matter what the angle is. Now I can only flex to 0 and 180. When I flex to 90 I get constraint error. I checked the nest all all types including the 3 angles flex properly. 

I associated/linked the parameter "ScrollRotation" of the parent family to the parameter "DrainRotation" of the nested family. If I unlink the params the family works as intended. So, I have been trying different solutions for awhile and none seem to fix the problem. I am using Revit MEP 2010. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Randy_CaS

Hi, Randy. I tested your family, using Revit 2013 (only version I have in this machine), and it rotates properly at any angle, in the family editor, and in a project.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
Randy_CaS
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for looking Alf. Arghhh.. here we go again. It is very frustrating when it works in one version and not another. Is there a good place to start?

Message 4 of 6
Randy_CaS

I think I have found the issue. As Alf mentioned, the family flexes properly in all versions of Revit except 2010. After more futzing it seems to work now. Here is what I did:

1. Open nested scroll front view, selected the ref line that is used to sweep the drain shape, changed properties to "not a reference".

2. Selected the horiz ref plane that designates the center of the hub. I unchecked the property "defines origin".

3. Save and load into parent, overwriting existing.

4. Family flexes properly.

I really wish there were better troubleshooting tools, rather than shooting from the hip as I have done here. I dont know if there is a problem with my workflow. If I did, then I can avoid future similar situations.

Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

I understand the need to be some versions back to the previous versions, but 2010 is already too old. In my case, I am doing some families for a manufacturer, and I am using Revit 2012. Maybe it's time that you move to at least 2 versions back from the current version? I think the 2012 version is compatible to the majority of Revit users.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6
Randy_CaS

It would be helpful to see some reports breaking down numbers for version per active license. I have asked my reseller for this info before and it was not available, at least that is what I was told.

Thanks for the input

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report