Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family file transfer to current open drawing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
239 Views, 3 Replies

Family file transfer to current open drawing

I. would like to transfer the revit family file/ windows/opening file to the current drawing file I'm working in. The file drops in to the drawing, but I. can't locate it. Can I. have some help with this? Don Sutherland, Architect, AIA EMail: don@dwsarchitects.com
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you dragged and dropped rfa file on top of revit window then it was loaded into your project and should be ready for placement. Dropped family should be listed in the browser and if you start window command (assuming it was a window) your window types will be listed in type dropdown. You can also drug and drop your window from the browser into graphical view. "Don Sutherland" wrote in message news:41f5c390$1_1@newsprd01... > I. would like to transfer the revit family file/ windows/opening file to > the current drawing file I'm working in. The file drops in to the drawing, > but I. can't locate it. > > Can I. have some help with this? > > > > Don Sutherland, Architect, AIA > EMail: don@dwsarchitects.com >
Message 3 of 4
Brandon W.

Don,
One thing that you have to remember when importing Revit Family files is that they can only be placed in the project through the correct component option. For example, if you make a custom window and load it into your project, you must click the window button in the Design Toolbar in order to place it. If you make a custom desk, you can't expect to place it by clicking on the Door button in the Design Toolbar. Generally speaking, most of the custom modeling that you do can only be loaded in the Components category.

When you first start creating your family file, you have to select what type of family you are creating, whether it be a door, window, generic model, light fixture or furniture model. All generic models can be loaded through the Components button in the Design toolbar. If the file you are trying to load is a window opening, then once you load the family, click on the Window button in the Design toolbar. Scroll down through the list of loaded window families until you find it.
Brandon
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

The Window Opening family often confuses users. Although it is stored in the window directory in the library, its category is generic model so that it will not appear in the window schedule. To place it, use the Component tool not the Window tool. "Brandon W." wrote in message news:18865922.1106665004208.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Don, > One thing that you have to remember when importing Revit Family files is that they can only be placed in the project through the correct component option. For example, if you make a custom window and load it into your project, you must click the window button in the Design Toolbar in order to place it. If you make a custom desk, you can't expect to place it by clicking on the Door button in the Design Toolbar. Generally speaking, most of the custom modeling that you do can only be loaded in the Components category. > > When you first start creating your family file, you have to select what type of family you are creating, whether it be a door, window, generic model, light fixture or furniture model. All generic models can be loaded through the Components button in the Design toolbar. If the file you are trying to load is a window opening, then once you load the family, click on the Window button in the Design toolbar. Scroll down through the list of loaded window families until you find it. > Brandon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report