Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family File Size

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Anonymous
258 Views, 0 Replies

Family File Size

I'm looking for some tips/direction on how to optimize a Revit family's file size.  I see lots of general discussions about doing the SaveAs -> compact method, and purging unused.  However, I didn't know if it ended there.  I also have gone through and deleted any unused materials from both files.

How big a part do extrusions, voids, reference planes, etc play.

What sparked this, was that I was rolling along making families in the 4-800 KB range.  First family where I have to use nesting, comes out at 1.6 MB.  The host family is 700 KB on it's own, and the nested one is 570 KB.  1.6 is over where I'd like these to be.

A) Why when combined, is the file size so much more than just them added together?  (I know there's stuff in there probably, just seems like 300 KB worth of it is quite a bit)

B) Anything that could be done differently to make either of the families more compact?

Unfortunatley, the series this family is the first of have a LOT of options to take into account.

I've attached the work in progress host family, that has the nested one inside of it. (it was 80 KB over the file size limit to post just as a RFA)

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report