Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family - Add dynamic Label

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
mailbox
27586 Views, 15 Replies

Family - Add dynamic Label

Hi All Is there a way to add a label that will display the family type name. So when i change the type it will change the text? Thank you
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
BIMAbhi
in reply to: mailbox

You can add Family types by New > Name in the Family Types DB in Revit Family.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 3 of 16
Alisder.Brown

Hey there

Yes, it’s a fairly easy one to do, follow these steps:

1. New > Annotation Symbol > Generic Tag
  2. Top left of the Modify or Create tab click "Family category’s & parameters" (the one with the yellow folder on it)
  3. Set the category for the tag (if you're tagging a wall type for instance, set the category to "Wall") and click OK
  4. On the Create tab, select "Label"
  5. Click on screen to place the Label, at the ref planes intersection point
  6. When you click to place, a dialogue pops up, choose "Type Name" from the list on the left and add it to the list on the right, apply and OK
  7. Delete the Red note 
  8. Save and load it into your project

To use the tag in your project go to the annotate tab and select "Tag by category" set your settings in your options bar if you want and just click on the object you want to tag and voilà 🙂

Hope this helps

Regards

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 4 of 16
mailbox
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Hi Thanks for the reply, I have been away so sorry for the lack of reply till now. I have just tried this and when trying to load it into my family I receive this error. Error - cannot be ignored: While loading 'Type Name Tag': Only the following kinds of families can be loaded into a 3d model family: - 3d model families - detail families - generic annotations - section heads - level heads - grid heads Am I doing somthing wrong? The familiy I want to insert it to is a lighting fixture so i selected lighting fixture tag. I have attached the file. Thanks
Message 5 of 16
Alisder.Brown

Load the family via the Insert tab > Load family

Then use the "Tag by category" button on the annotate tab. And just click on the lighting fixture to tag it (you may need to change the type of tag after placement if you have multiple types)

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 6 of 16
mailbox
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Sorry i didnt really make it to clear as to what I was trying to achive I am a revit novice and know nothing about tagging. The reason it was throwing the error up was because I was trying to insert the tag into my family rather than the project. I want the tag to be inside the family so that the customer dosent have to lay the family down and the tag it after as the will be hundreds of our light fittings in a single project. and there are near on 50 types in my family. I have attached a picture of how I want it to be displayed and to act. Thanks for your time.
Message 7 of 16
mailbox

Not sure if my attachments are uploading
Message 8 of 16
SteveKStafford

As tempting as embedding a "tag" in a family is, in practice it isn't as effective as you might think. First the embedded tag (label family) is based on a printed size and that size is really only effective in a narrow band of view scales around the ideal scale like 1/8"=1'-0" 1:100. As soon as you have a view in a coarser or finer scale than the ideal scale people want to be able to hide or change the tag location. Second, but related to the first, the tag is visible in any view that the host family is visible in. That can be a benefit but in practice it is often negative more than a positive and in turn we then see people asking to hide the tag in some views.

Revit tags are easy to apply in any view with Tag All. We can then fine tune the location of any tags that compete unfavorably with other things in the view. We can't do that with an embedded tag, they are stuck where they are unless we put in greater effort in each family to make the location of the tag adjustable too. Most experienced Revit users expect to encounter separate tags so it won't annoy them to find you've taken that approach.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 9 of 16
Alfredo_Medina

@mailbox :

Families are tagged in projects, by the user, not in the family editor, by the content creator. Do not worry about the end user having to tag the families. That is done in an instant, even if there are a hundred of families to tag. You need to worry about making the family in the correct way, and about learning more about families. For example, you are saying that you have 50 types in that family? I hope you have considered the use of a type catalog. Otherwise, every time the end user needs to load just 1 of your fixtures, all 50 types would be loaded, making your family very slow to load and affecting the performance of projects. Not only that, but the family might not be accepted by some of your clients because of the 50 types. There are many things to consider.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 10 of 16
mailbox

I did figure out how to put a label into my family last night but I did run into problems as you said Steve, the text size was dependent on the scale.

I was asked by the customer to have a label inside the family as currently he is using an AutoCAD layout as an overlay for the labels. I am not sure how much knowledge he has about using Revit. I have none this is my first family and it is the most complicated range we do in terms of making a Revit family. Maybe I should look into how to tag a lot of items and pass this info on to him if he starts running into problems with the text size.
We have been using AutoCAD for all projects up till now and I think he expects it to operate in a similar way, as the blocks we supply have tags/text giving the reference numbers.

Alfredo I have not heard of a type catalogue I will have a search and see if it will help me. I am going into this a bit blind with not a lot of knowledge.

I have attached the family I think, (I am not sure if my attachments are actually being posted as I can’t see anything this end.) maybe if you would be so kind as to cast your eye over it and let me know if what I have done is best practice or not or if there is a better way of doing it.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Message 11 of 16
Alfredo_Medina

As you said, the family has approximately 50 types. That is not a good practice. Do some research in the help documents about "type catalogs". If necessary, you can create 2 or 3 different families, each of them with some types. That's preferable. The "all in one" approach is not a good practice, as it usually makes the families difficult to use and difficult to edit.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 12 of 16
mailbox
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Ok so I have now changed it to be driven from a txt document and it works well thank you and makes sense to use it. With the schemes that are done probably 60 to 70% of the types will be used on a project. Your suggestion of splitting them up into 2 or 3 families is that down to resource management or to make it easier to maintain and create the families? As I have already created all the types i need for this range is there any reason not to keep it as an all in one? The customers feedback so far with the file is positive and they like the fact it is an all in one. However this will in time be sent to other users and am thinking if its a resource issue there system may get bogged down, but I am struggling to think of how to split the file as they would defiantly need types from each file I create which would always meen loading 2 or 3 families rather than just one and I am guessing that would be heavier on the system than just one file. Thank you for you help. Chris
Message 13 of 16
Alfredo_Medina

Splitting the family is up to you. It depends on the family, and may not be necessary for this family that you are making.

Example: trying to make a door family be single and double at the same time, is not a good idea. It might be possible but both types will not be needed at the same time. It's better to a family for single, and another family for double. The same reasoning can be applied to other types of families.

Message 14 of 16
mailbox
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Got ya. Thanks for your help and everyone elses, It is very much appreciated. No doubt i will back with more questions. Thanks Chris.
Message 15 of 16
LukenKWYTF

I have a crazy Revit idea that I want to run by you all... 

Do you think it is possible to associate a text note (with leader line) within families, so that inserting families and annotation (in plan, section, and elevation) can be an all in one process?  For example, when inserting a family into an elevation an arrow and editable text would automatically be associated with its components that are frequently noted on projects.

Examples: An arrow pointing towards…

- the overhang of a counter top

- the toilet flush controls

- the shower rod

- the shower door

- the A.F.F. mirror reflective surface

- Etc.

Then the text can be pulled to where it is wanted and the leader line would follow. Effectively, it would eliminate the extra step of individually inserting these notes into drawings.  If we could make this happen in Revit Land, it would save a whole lot of time, especially for the locations that are always noted in projects.  This could also ensure that an entire office is on the same page regarding notes that should be used.

Can this be achieved in Revit?

Message 16 of 16

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report