Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Families not loading

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
tstewart
54879 Views, 17 Replies

Families not loading

Various families are not loading into project. Error message: "Some or all families you selected cannot be loaded. You must choose family files of the category Component...etc." How do I load all families that I will use in a project?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
bt1138
in reply to: tstewart

You can:

-Load them one by one, and that is when you get the ' "Some or all families you selected cannot be loaded. You must choose family files of the category Component...etc." 

or

-Transfer project Standards, which will allow you to throw in more than on family at once. Sadly it throws them all in at once (by category), so not much control.

or

-Cut & Paste from one file to the other. You can dump more than one at a time that way.

or

-Drag and Drop from File Explorer. You can dump more than one at a time this way also.

bt

Message 3 of 18
tstewart
in reply to: bt1138

Thank you and I will try those options.

Message 4 of 18
Revitspace

The reason for this error is that the family you are tryign to load is the incorect catagory. 

For example most components can be loaded from the "HOME --> COMPONENT -->LOAD FAMILY" button,  however if the family is a window, door, beam, or colum then it must be loaded as such "HOME --> WINDOW -->LOAD FAMILY"  or "HOME --> DOOR --> LOAD FAMILY" etc etc.

It can catch you out as the "Load Family button" is identical in all situations. If you are unsure of the familys catagory then you can check in the family, and if all elese fails just drag and drop into an open revit project window.

Adam Ward

www.revitspace.co.uk

www.bimstore.co.uk

Message 5 of 18
bt1138

It so annoying isn't it?

How hard would it be for this program to say in this circumstance: "This is the wrong category of family, it is a       -FILL in the BLANK FAMILY-.    Would you like to load it anyway?"

bt

Message 6 of 18
tstewart
in reply to: Revitspace

That is exactly what happened and the results are now viewable. 

Thanks again,

TS

Message 7 of 18
leonard_winton

I am having the same issue with not being able to load family into project. Not from the tab, drag-n-drop, copy/paste. I sure of the wording used, very green at Revit. Can anyone explain clear where one can understand?

Message 8 of 18

I am having a similar issue 

but here I'm trying to load a curtain wall door, by choosing the door family itself, and still it says its the wrong category! 

what do i do about this?

Message 9 of 18

On the Insert ribbon tab, on the Load from Library panel, choose the Load Family tool.  This tool will allow you to load any type of family, because it will not try to place an instance immediately after loading.

If you start with a tool that places an instance of a loadable family (for example, on the Architecture ribbon tab, on the Build panel, the Door tool) and, mid-command, you select the Load Family tool from the contextual ribbon panel(s) added to the Modify tab (in the given example, the Modify | Place Door ribbon tab, Mode panel, Load Family tool), then Revit needs you to select a family of the type it is trying to add, as it is going to place an instance of that file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 18
worldpower890
in reply to: bt1138

I tried the tips above that you specified but none are working.Drag and drop tip is not working as well.Can you please tell otherways to load the components that are reporting as errors.

Message 11 of 18
RobDraw
in reply to: worldpower890

If the method stated in message #9 does not work, you've got a problem. Please post a sample family that will not load.

Maybe you are trying to load families saved in a later version of Revit than the one that you are using.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 12 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: worldpower890

What sort of components are you trying to load?
Message 13 of 18
111G
in reply to: ToanDN

i too can't load the families. when i am trying to load the object from load components then nothing is showing up . i tried all the things and i inserted the new object which i downloaded it is getting loaded but after that i couldn't load any thing !

@ToanDN wrote:
What sort of components are you trying to load?

i am trying to load shower corner and bathtub etc 

Message 14 of 18
RobDraw
in reply to: 111G

See post #4.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 15 of 18
joshericALSZS
in reply to: Revitspace

thank you

Message 16 of 18

I am having the same issue, did you ever fix it?

Message 17 of 18

I had the exact same problem. The family showed up in the project browser under 'Families', but had to 'plus+' sign in front of it. I purged just that family from the project and then loaded it back into the project. Works fine now.

Message 18 of 18
vital0955
in reply to: leonard_winton

I do not know how different the error message am getting is from yours, but mine stated that I load the families from the structural components. I was loading a column. This means you only load families only when you're working in that area or field. You load doors when you're working on doors. I am sure it'll work for you. Because it worked for me. All the best...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report