Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
jking
Message 1 of 4 (1,660 Views)
Accepted Solution

Families, apply a slope parameter as a dimension label.

1660 Views, 3 Replies
11-02-2011 08:35 AM

I'm working on a user-defined structural column family in 2012.  Within the family, there is a component at the top of the column whose angle needs to be defined as an instance-specific slope (i.e. (1/3)" / 12"), not just simply an angle.  I've already created the proper slope-type parameter within the Family Types Dialog as an instance parameter.  I've created the reference plane I would like it to be based on, but I haven't actually created the component yet because I can't get the reference to behave how I need it to.

The problem is when I try to attach the value as a label on the angular dimension that controls the angle of the feature, it won't let me select it.  If I create a new parameter while labeling the dimension it automatically creates an angle parameter and won't let me choose to create a slope parameter.

I have tried creating an angle parameter and entering slope-style information into it, but it either rejects the input as invalid or comes up with something completely off-the-wall.  Since it automatically resolved the slope to an angle, I have also tried creating both slope- and angle-type parameters and linking them together using the formula angleValue = slopeValue, but it rejects this construct saying "Inconsistent Units".

Maybe I'm over thinking this because I can attach a column to a roof (assuming the roof is constructed correctly), but I'm not too sure that would accomplish what I need to because there is additional structure that needs to be placed above the column before attaching to the roof.  What can I do?

You could handle the slope as an angle, using this formula: atan (y/x)

See illustration.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 4 (1,642 Views)

Re: Families, apply a slope parameter as a dimension label.

11-02-2011 01:23 PM in reply to: jking

You could handle the slope as an angle, using this formula: atan (y/x)

See illustration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Active Contributor
jking
Message 3 of 4 (1,635 Views)

11-02-2011 02:39 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

To match my final intent, I made a slight change to the example you provided and it seems to be changing the angle of my reference plane how I would like.

I'll try to remember to post back after I've had an opportunity to attach some actual geometry to the plane.

Thanks. 

Active Contributor
jking
Message 4 of 4 (1,532 Views)

12-02-2011 10:29 AM in reply to: jking

I took Alfredo_Medina's suggestion and did some tweaking.  By doing so, I found a way to enter the slope in 1 parameter how I wanted.

First, I defined a "Roof Slope" instance parameter of type "slope".

Second, I defined another instance parameter called "Slope Angle" of type "angle".

Then, I set the formula for "Slope Angle" to atan(Roof Slope).

I then labeled the appropriate angle dimension with the "Slope Angle" parameter. 

Now, I can enter the roof slope as 1/12 and it will automatically calculate the appropriate angle.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.