Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fallen Arch!

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
IMCornish
825 Views, 6 Replies

Fallen Arch!

I have created a Generic Model (Wall based) of a simple Brick Arch, for use over a window (see image below).Brick Arch.png

This is to go over a window to give the impression of an arched window frame.  Incorporated is a void extrusion, the depth of which is set to be controlled by a parameter called 'Reveal Width', in order that an arched recess to the depth of the window reveal, can be produced.  By then painting the face of the recess I can give the impression that the window head is arched.

Thing is, having imported, I just cannot place the arch on a wall as Revit will not let me!

I attach the family file for anyone who would like to tell me why it is behaving like this. Thanks.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: IMCornish

I took a brief glimpse at it. I don't see what exactly is causing the error, but if I set "No Soldiers (default)" to 2 prior to loading it into the Project, it then allowed the element to be hosted to a Wall. I was then able to set the number of soldiers to 11 (or whatever other value) without it breaking. I reset the default number of soldiers in the Project by changing that value to 11 while actively placing the element.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
IMCornish
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks Corey, I know it is not an ideal solution but it will do for now.  I also found that the void extrusion I was using for the Arch did not cut the wall to the depth I wanted so have since changed that to an 'opening' and inserted a solid extrusion to represent the arched window head.

Is there a way of finding why the original did not work do you think or should I accept  this as the solution?

I also wonder if there is a relationship with an issue I contributed to yesterday originally posted some time ago but remaining unanswered.  This was in regard to 'Placement Side' confusion.  See http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Wall-based-Family-templates-Placement-Side...

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 7
CoreyDaun

I wouldn't consider my response a Solution, just a temporary means. I wasn't able to identify the cause, but perhaps someone else here will be better for investigating this scenario.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
alan.quinn

The wall in the family is 150 (thickness, under structure). I changed the wall in my test project to match and your family works. However, if you change the wall thickness to over 150 it will not work. This pointed me to an issue in how the elements are attaching to the wall in the family. 

Do the following: 

1. Open your family and save-as > rename it.

2. Go to plan view.

3. Click on the wall and change it to 300 (thickness, under Structure).

4. Note what happens to your bricks!

5. In my attached test family I simply highlighted the bricks that were now inside the wall and moved them to the edge.

6. Once I reloaded it works with walls 150, 200 and 300, and I'm assuming all others.

I suggest looking at how you are aligning and locking the brick elements to the face of the wall.

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 6 of 7
IMCornish
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thanks Alan, I see what you mean.  I seem to have problems with face attachment of array members and can't find out where I go wrong.  I had always assumed that if the parent object was anchored its arrayed children would also be.  This assumption is obviously wrong.  You have also taught me that I do not have to attach each member whilst being in edit group mode.  You might wish to confirm my new assumption that if the first and last of an array of two are similarly anchored to a face or plane then however many are subsequently added to the array (parametrically) then all will be attached?  Now I have confused myself again since this is the way I thought that I had done the original file such that when CADastrophe reduced the array to two, they were both on the face....... 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 7 of 7
Greenhatchgroup

There is a family here: http://essentialbim.com/product/brick-arch/ that works Very well you have to pay for it but it saves a lot of hastle.

It has plenty of flexible parameters that allow you to choose the number of bricks, the height of arch above window, the colour of the bricks and mortar, as well as a fair few others. Might be worth giving it a try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report