Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Buttress wall join

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
KevinFielding
2370 Views, 20 Replies

External Buttress wall join

Hi,

How would I go about achieving this external wall pier detail, I've tried using a column however it wraps back to the core, I only want the stonework to form the pier.

I'm fairly new Revit and any info would be very much appreciated, I've looked at the discussion group and on the web and can't find a solution, it's s fairly simple thing so I suspect there should a decent solution.

thanks in advance,

K
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

This is done by using the Wall Reveal tool, with a profile that you create in a separate family file, using a profile template.
First, go to New > Family > choose a Profile template.
In that template, draw the polygonal shape that represents the plan view of the pier. Save the family, for example "pier.rfa", and clic on the Load into project.
Back in the project, switch to an elevation view, where you can see that wall.
Go to Home tab > Wall > Wall reveal ;
The sketch mode begins
Select Vertical
Clic on Element properties > Instance properties > edit type > profile > "pier.rfa" > ok to close.
Locate the pier on the wall's elevation.
Finish the sketch.
Clic on the pier to modify its height and/or location from the corner, by typing in the specific dimensions.

Alfredo Medina
www.planta1.com
Online training of
AutoCAD Revit Architecture Suite

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 21

Thanks for this.

I've created a generic family from a column based template to create the pier, it gave me easy control over when and at what level the pier ended. The only drawback I've found is that models within family can't have there surface patterns aligned.

Unless I'm mistaken?

Many thanks for your response.

K
Message 4 of 21

I've just tried this. The drawback is; I rotate the surface pattern of the material to match the host wall (As it inserts vertically) when I copy the sweep, the patterns revert to a vertical. I've tried creating a group and this doesn't help.

can you help with this?
Message 5 of 21

Please post another picture, this time in 3d, to see the issue with the surfaces that don't align. I don't quite understand that part.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 21

Alfredo,

The pier on the left (see attached pic) is a vertical sweep, with the same material as the walls. Everytime I insert the sweep the surface pattern is rotated 90 degrees. I can rotate and align however every time I copy it the surface pattern orientation reverts to vertical.

The pier on the right is a generic model joined to the wall. The problem with this is; I can't move or align the surface patterns.

Can you suggest a solution?

thanks,

K
Message 7 of 21

I reproduced this case in a sample building here with no problem. Please see what we are doing differently:
First I went into Manage > Material. I duplicated a material and renamed it as "texture 1 horizontal".
I assigned a hatch pattern to it, one that looks like horizontal joins every 8 inches or so.
Then, on an elevation of the building, I assigned that material to the exterior wall of the building.
Then I went to Wall > Wall sweep, and I inserted the pier (from a custom family already created).
I finished the sketch.
Then I selected the pier. > Element properties > Type properties > Material > "texture 1 horizontal". > OK
Now the pier shows the same pattern as the wall, and in alignment.
Now I copy the pier a couple of times.
All 3 piers show the same pattern as the wall, and in alignment.

Message 8 of 21

This is my workflow too!

There most be some sort of glitch. I'm using 2010 with the latest patches/updates.

I've attached what I've created
Message 9 of 21

This time I had the same problem you did, trying to show the bricks. I had done it successfully before using a hatch pattern called "horizontal" but I now see that the brick pattern indeed has a problem.

I found a solution, though. Go to Manage > Materials > duplicate any material > name it as "my brick" (for example) > clic on the browse button next to "surface pattern" > new > custom > import > find "acad.pat" (in windows XP is in Documents and settings/Application Data/(autocad version)/ enu/support/) > from the list, select "AR-BRSTD" > and as import scale type "0.022" > OK.

Apply that "my brick" material to your piers. See attached image.

Alfredo Medina
http://www.planta1.com
Online training of
AutoCAD Revit Architecture Suite

Message 10 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: KevinFielding

> How would I go about achieving this external wall pier detail, I've tried using a column however it wraps back to the core, I only want the stonework to form the pier.

1. Start with the architectural column you created.
2. Edit Family for this column.
3. Click the "Category and Parameters" button.
4. Change the Family Category from "Columns" to "Generic Models".
5. OK, Save, Load family back into your project.
6. Edit the Types to use desired material instead of "".
7. Insert "Generic Model" columns/piers as needed.
8. Use "Join Geometry" tool to merge with wall.

--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Message 11 of 21

Brian, This is exactly what I've ended up doing, however I am unable to control/move the alignment within the model of the surface pattern.
Message 12 of 21

In my drawing I'm not using the brick pattern, I'm using a generic horizontal line spaced pattern, and am suffering the same problem.
Message 13 of 21

That's strange. I did not have any problems using a generic hatch pattern with horizontal lines. I did had trouble with the "masonry brick" pattern, though. I suggested brick since that was the material shown in the image you posted before. Check the properties of your hatch in the hatch pattern editor. There are some options there related to the alignment of the hatch pattern. The options are : Orient to view, Keep readable, and Align with element.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

wait, I missed something earlier, now I see your problem...

The pattern alignment on component families like this has to be done in
the family editor. If the alignment is consistent for all piers, this
shouldn't be a problem.
--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Message 15 of 21

Those properties only apply to drafting hatch patterns and not to model patterns.

The initial image is a brick pattern because it was the first thing I selected. My other model is considerably larger.
Message 16 of 21

I wish that was the case, unfortunately the pier bases start at different elevations because the terrain slopes, I am reluctant to create a new family for each elevation.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

kevinfielding wrote:
> In my drawing I'm not using the brick pattern, I'm using a generic horizontal line spaced pattern, and am suffering the same problem.

If a simple horizontal banding is all you need, make another pattern
that is the same spacing but vertical (and another material to use that
pattern).

Apply that to the vertical wall sweeps, and align (AND LOCK) to your
heart's content.

Revit seems to understand these as horizontal sweeps turned 90 degrees,
so you have to use a pattern that is oriented the other direction.

--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Message 18 of 21

Are you suggesting painting the pattern on? Otherwise my pier won't clean-up in plan as required will it?
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

kevinfielding wrote:
> Are you suggesting painting the pattern on? Otherwise my pier won't clean-up in plan as required will it?

I was suggesting applying a new material, not painting.

And no, the pier won't clean up perfectly in plan with this method. You
can use the Join Geometry tool to minimize the separation, but won't be
able to get rid of it entirely.

You *can* paint the pattern on, but this is fickle and prone to
problems, in my experience. I don't recommend it.

Pick what's most important to you - plan cleanup / elevation alignment /
ease of use. But I think you are going to have to compromise somewhere...

--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Message 20 of 21

OK, thank you both very much for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Regards,

K

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report