Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expoting to Viz

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
194 Views, 9 Replies

Expoting to Viz

How do I export a Revit 9.1 file into a 3ds file that is supported by Autodesk Viz
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit cannot export to 3ds. Export to .dwg and use that to import into Viz.

Message was edited by: rmejia
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

To AutoCAD and then to VIZ or MAX.Export your 3D view to AutoCAD, it will come into AutoCAD as an model (solid model) and then open in VIZ or MAX. You could also export to SAT (ACIS) model and bring it in VIZ or MAX.

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Can you import them to retain the applied materials?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Mel,

Have you had any issues with max/VIZ and losing material definitions assigned in max, and modifiers?

I have the option set to "Use scene material definitions' and 'Use scene material assignments on Reload' but every so often when I reload, I lose all of the assigned materials and assigned modifiers. I've done this sequence more times than I can count, and have not had issues 99.5% of the time. Once I had to go back to an old version of the max file and abandon updates from Revit, and now twice today I've had it lose the connection to the DWG elements. I assume it keeps track of objects through a GUID or handle and that this is getting changed, but cannot see where the problem is occurring.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks!

Jenni
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Yes, make sure you use the revit preset in Viz 2007 or 2008 and there is a check box in link manager that you must make sure you check to retain material assignments.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

Yep, that is all set, and it works most of the time. I thought maybe it was because I was editing on different machines. Now I seem to have a _very_ repeatable issue with closing 3ds max, opening max and the scene, and reloading the file-linked DWG - even if the DWG hasn't changed at all. It is as if I created a new file link, rather than reloading the existing DWG.

It is max 9 with SP2 and Revit 9.1.

I just have to get as much done as possible before commiting to materials and any modifiers. Quite annoying, and obviously not correct behavior.

Jenni Addl info.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

you have to make sure those check boxes are checked when you initially load the file. the wont have any effect if you loaded the file the first time without them checked and then reload after checking them.

it is a bug in the file link manager that is pi$$in alot of people off.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

You can't set the options before doing a file link. So, I did a file link, did a reload and set those options, then Detached the file, and then linked the file again. When I did a reload the checkboxes were off. Can't get the checkboxes to stay on. Same issues with it losing the connection when the .max scene is reloaded.

I edited some settings in the filelink.ini, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Regardless, this goes beyond materials, and we are losing all of the connection to the original DWG, as if I did a detach and re-attach from scratch. Modifiers, transforms, and materials are all gone.

Seems pretty important not to have fixed in max/VIZ after all this time. 😞

Jenni
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I think I read that its an issue with the later service packs, if you unninstall the service pack it should work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report