Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting part of a Revit Model

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dereki
21976 Views, 9 Replies

Exporting part of a Revit Model

Hi,

I have a multiple storey building that has been created in Revit 2012.

The client would like a separate Revit model that only contains the information on one floor

(Level 4), so that he can give this separate model to his tenant, to be used to do a renovation.

Can this be done, and if so how?

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ccollins
in reply to: dereki

Select all elements that you wish to include. Create a new Group, and name it.

A good way to do this for just one Level is to use a Section Box to "clip" out all other elements and then make your selection and Group.

Then, in the Ribbon, select "Link" and it will create a new, individual Revit .rvt file.

You can then use "Bind" if required to "merge" it back into the original file.

This process works very well.

However, If the number of elements becomes very large, you may run into memory issues

if your computer does not have sufficient RAM.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 10
marco.defina
in reply to: ccollins

I don't find the "LINK" in the Ribbon, someone can indicate me with image or with a gif?

BIM Manager - HVAC and Plumbing designer https://www.autodesk.it/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/responsive-imagery/responsive-badges-compare/2019/navisworks-manage-2019-badge-75x75.pngApp AutoCAD per dispositivi mobili premiumNavisWorks Simulate3ds Max___________________________________________________________________________
Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums.

Message 4 of 10
L.Maas
in reply to: marco.defina

Select the group

Group.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 10
marco.defina
in reply to: L.Maas

Maybe i don't understand how to group? i don't see this option...

2.JPG

BIM Manager - HVAC and Plumbing designer https://www.autodesk.it/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/responsive-imagery/responsive-badges-compare/2019/navisworks-manage-2019-badge-75x75.pngApp AutoCAD per dispositivi mobili premiumNavisWorks Simulate3ds Max___________________________________________________________________________
Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums.

Message 6 of 10
L.Maas
in reply to: marco.defina

You select some objects and then use the create group button

Group.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 7 of 10

Create group is the icon highlighted below - it's in the Create section of the ribbon.

2016-02-11_14-00-55.png

hth

K.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 8 of 10
mschirmer

I did this with a 27 story building and most of the model was selected. It crashed on linking it
Message 9 of 10
Keith_Wilkinson
in reply to: mschirmer

Maybe a little ambitious trying to export so much?  Why not try it a floor at a time.... 

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 10 of 10
dbyron2L6L9

Can anyone tell me why my groups wont export via using the link as suggested above?

I found that I had to group the families by their same type i.e columns or beams, but even doing this, the group items wouldn't delete from the project and save a separate rvt file? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report