Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exported DWG File Plot Style

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
11695 Views, 6 Replies

Exported DWG File Plot Style

Could anyone tell me the Plot Syle to use in AutoCAD that will match the Revit file when it is exported?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rosskirby
in reply to: Anonymous

There isn't one universal plot style in AutoCAD, and Revit doesn't have plot styles at all.  Each firm has its own plot styles, which are defined in the AutoCAD options, not in Revit.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I understand what you are saying, however, AutoCAD Architecture, does have several standard plot styles: AIA Standard.ctb & AIA Standard Color.ctb for instance.   My questions is: Does one of these AIA plot styles work best for plotting an exported Revit file?

Message 4 of 7
rosskirby

That depends on whether or not you used that plot style setup to map your Revit objects when exporting.  When you're in the export menu from Revit, select the DWG Properties tab and click on the ellipses "..." at the end of the "Layers and properties" drop down box.  That'll bring up the window asking you for the text file which maps the Revit objects to CAD layers.  I believe the default export layer map is AIA-based, but I can't say for sure.  If not, you'll have to create your own based on the default one.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I had a similar issue and found the ctb file in this article worked for me: http://revitit.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/printing-revit-exports-in-autocad/ .

download the file attached and rename with .ctb and drop it into the folder that opens when you click file>plotstyle manager.

Message 6 of 7
David_W_Koch

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand what you are saying, however, AutoCAD Architecture, does have several standard plot styles: AIA Standard.ctb & AIA Standard Color.ctb for instance.   My questions is: Does one of these AIA plot styles work best for plotting an exported Revit file?

Revit will export a color-dependent plot style.  If your AutoCAD standard (assuming you work in AutoCAD also) is to use color-dependent plot styles, then you can use your office standard plot style, assuming that your export settings are such that they correspond to your AutoCAD layering.  If you use named plot styles in AutoCAD, you will have to convert the plot style type of the exported files.  If you do not work in AutoCAD, but want to provide other parties CAD files and a plot style file, then pick one and set your export settings accordingly.

One note of caution:  Revit will hard-code colors and lineweights on many objects (including nested objects inside block definitions) in an attempt to get the DWG file to be faithful to the Revit original.  You can minimize that with judicious export settings and by not using a lot of view overrides, but I have yet to get a DWG directly out of Revit that is drawn the way we would have drawn it in AutoCAD.  If you need a working CAD file, you will probably need to do some post-export processing in AutoCAD.  The good news is that if you are familiar with customization in AutoCAD, much of that post-processing can be automated.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 7
nizamsheik69

hi 

i would like to know if you have managed to get a plot style for revit as i have a project which has 3 phases, which will be physically challenging for me to mask each phase in revit. so i prefer to export it to dwg which will make it easier, however i would like to export it with council standard colors and line weights already. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report