Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export sections / elevations

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3452 Views, 4 Replies

export sections / elevations

Does anybody have a good strategy for exporting to AutoCAD sections and elevations with lineweights/layers that make sense for this type of drawing? I know that I can set pieces of the model that are cut by the section to export to a "section cut" layer, but is there a way for lines of walls that are closer or further away from the cut plane to export with appropriate layers/weights? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The way it looks in Revit is the way it will export to AutoCAD. Revit creates layer settings that represent the pen weights of Revit. Just plot the AutoCAD file using the lineweight styles as exported and it will look exactly as it did in Revit. You really shouldn't need any additional setup. "clarkitekt" wrote in message news:408eb953$1_3@newsprd01... > Does anybody have a good strategy for exporting to AutoCAD sections and > elevations with lineweights/layers that make sense for this type of drawing? > I know that I can set pieces of the model that are cut by the section to > export to a "section cut" layer, but is there a way for lines of walls that > are closer or further away from the cut plane to export with appropriate > layers/weights? > > Thanks > >
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks Aaron, this is helpful knowledge and I think I see how to make it work for me as I don't need to print from AutoCAD. I just need to be able to see what is what well enough that our none Revit users can use these exported elevations/sections as backgrounds for details and such. I can just have them change all the layers to white (or whatever color they prefer) and then set AutoCAD to show lineweights... One more question though. Our office uses a standard in which our layers for linework in elevations and sections are based on the plot thicknesses of those lines (ie. the thickest (the cut line) is on a layer called A-Sect-MCut, followed by A-Sect-03, A-Sect-02...) regardless of what object the line is representing. Is there not a way to correlate those lineweights to a layer. For instance everything that is cut will come in (acad) on A-Sect-MCut, then the next thickness of line (shown in Revit) will come in on a layer called A-Sect-03. Thanks again, Brad "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message news:408ed2aa$1_1@newsprd01... > The way it looks in Revit is the way it will export to AutoCAD. Revit > creates layer settings that represent the pen weights of Revit. Just plot > the AutoCAD file using the lineweight styles as exported and it will look > exactly as it did in Revit. You really shouldn't need any additional setup. > > "clarkitekt" wrote in message > news:408eb953$1_3@newsprd01... > > Does anybody have a good strategy for exporting to AutoCAD sections and > > elevations with lineweights/layers that make sense for this type of > drawing? > > I know that I can set pieces of the model that are cut by the section to > > export to a "section cut" layer, but is there a way for lines of walls > that > > are closer or further away from the cut plane to export with appropriate > > layers/weights? > > > > Thanks > > > > > >
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

For our mechanical group, I set up export views with just the information they need. The AutoCAD colors colors are all as they like per the Import/Export settings. Lineweight is retained per Revit, but the color they use is a halftone color. They get no extra drawing elements, so they have no layers to manage. With a Selected/View Sheets filter, I can export just what they need in a few seconds with no effort. "clarkitekt" wrote in message news:408ee42a$1_1@newsprd01... > Thanks Aaron, this is helpful knowledge and I think I see how to make it > work for me as I don't need to print from AutoCAD. I just need to be able to > see what is what well enough that our none Revit users can use these > exported elevations/sections as backgrounds for details and such. I can just > have them change all the layers to white (or whatever color they prefer) and > then set AutoCAD to show lineweights... > > One more question though. Our office uses a standard in which our layers for > linework in elevations and sections are based on the plot thicknesses of > those lines (ie. the thickest (the cut line) is on a layer called > A-Sect-MCut, followed by A-Sect-03, A-Sect-02...) regardless of what object > the line is representing. Is there not a way to correlate those lineweights > to a layer. For instance everything that is cut will come in (acad) on > A-Sect-MCut, then the next thickness of line (shown in Revit) will come in > on a layer called A-Sect-03. > > Thanks again, > Brad > > > > > "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message > news:408ed2aa$1_1@newsprd01... > > The way it looks in Revit is the way it will export to AutoCAD. Revit > > creates layer settings that represent the pen weights of Revit. Just plot > > the AutoCAD file using the lineweight styles as exported and it will look > > exactly as it did in Revit. You really shouldn't need any additional > setup. > > > > "clarkitekt" wrote in message > > news:408eb953$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Does anybody have a good strategy for exporting to AutoCAD sections and > > > elevations with lineweights/layers that make sense for this type of > > drawing? > > > I know that I can set pieces of the model that are cut by the section to > > > export to a "section cut" layer, but is there a way for lines of walls > > that > > > are closer or further away from the cut plane to export with appropriate > > > layers/weights? > > > > > > Thanks > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Whoops - forgot answer to main question: Import/Export settings. You may have to create a special setup for Sections and Elevations to get so specific, but it should be possible to accomplish what you want. "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message news:408ee667$1_1@newsprd01... > For our mechanical group, I set up export views with just the information > they need. The AutoCAD colors colors are all as they like per the > Import/Export settings. Lineweight is retained per Revit, but the color they > use is a halftone color. They get no extra drawing elements, so they have no > layers to manage. With a Selected/View Sheets filter, I can export just what > they need in a few seconds with no effort. > > "clarkitekt" wrote in message > news:408ee42a$1_1@newsprd01... > > Thanks Aaron, this is helpful knowledge and I think I see how to make it > > work for me as I don't need to print from AutoCAD. I just need to be able > to > > see what is what well enough that our none Revit users can use these > > exported elevations/sections as backgrounds for details and such. I can > just > > have them change all the layers to white (or whatever color they prefer) > and > > then set AutoCAD to show lineweights... > > > > One more question though. Our office uses a standard in which our layers > for > > linework in elevations and sections are based on the plot thicknesses of > > those lines (ie. the thickest (the cut line) is on a layer called > > A-Sect-MCut, followed by A-Sect-03, A-Sect-02...) regardless of what > object > > the line is representing. Is there not a way to correlate those > lineweights > > to a layer. For instance everything that is cut will come in (acad) on > > A-Sect-MCut, then the next thickness of line (shown in Revit) will come in > > on a layer called A-Sect-03. > > > > Thanks again, > > Brad > > > > > > > > > > "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message > > news:408ed2aa$1_1@newsprd01... > > > The way it looks in Revit is the way it will export to AutoCAD. Revit > > > creates layer settings that represent the pen weights of Revit. Just > plot > > > the AutoCAD file using the lineweight styles as exported and it will > look > > > exactly as it did in Revit. You really shouldn't need any additional > > setup. > > > > > > "clarkitekt" wrote in message > > > news:408eb953$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > Does anybody have a good strategy for exporting to AutoCAD sections > and > > > > elevations with lineweights/layers that make sense for this type of > > > drawing? > > > > I know that I can set pieces of the model that are cut by the section > to > > > > export to a "section cut" layer, but is there a way for lines of walls > > > that > > > > are closer or further away from the cut plane to export with > appropriate > > > > layers/weights? > > > > > > > > Thanks > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report